Longines Information

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by John Pavlik, Jul 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Would any Longines expert have any information on this watch.. It's about a 10 size, key wind and set.. interesting signature on the plates with what I would think, a lower serial number for a Longines watch..
    Thanks for any comments...

2. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi John, I have a few of these; you are lucky you have the Case. My movements have sat neglected in a drawer for years because I cannot find Cases. The 2 on the left work and have Dials. It you look at a Longines website you should be able to date your very nice Pocket Watch. Regards Ray View attachment 349403

3. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

#3 Dave Chaplain, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
    It's more anecdotal than well researched fact, but IMO these are the result of Georges Aggasiz taking over the marketing and US sales representation for Longines in the USA. He was trying to make the Longines imports more desireable for US buyers, including the use of fancy nickel damascened plates that were starting to be popular with the US makers and buyers in the mid-1870's. And I think his success with these products led him to break off from Longines (the family business started by his grandfather, Auguste Aggasiz in 1832, and subsequently run by his cousin, Ernest Francillion) and start the Aggasiz Watch Co. in 1876. I have these Longines movement with "Geo. Aggasiz" in a similar fancy design on the top plate:

4. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to both of you... yes some similarities and I have heard the connection of Longines & Agassiz.. The Longines has the familiar separate 2 pivot bridge, seen on most Longines examples..significant difference in the top plate design...

5. Dave Chaplain

NAWCC Member

Hi John, yes, I didn't mean to imply that my examples were the same model or grade as those you and Ray show below - I meant only the styling, ie, made to look less continental, with "named" grades using company officer names, two-color (gold-silver) finish on damascened nickel plates, and fancy engraving.

6. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    16D caliber produced in 1870 16 lines of 36 mm diameter, 15 rubies including 5 with screws. One of the last KW / KS calibers
    regards enrico

7. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Enrico ! You always have a wealth of knowledge pertaining to European Watch movements.. Would you have an idea if this was a large production movement or not.. It appears to be well finished ..

8. Dave Chaplain

NAWCC Member

More from the internet, translated from German ...

[FONT=&quot]The Longines caliber 16D is one of the first early calibers since the move to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the new factory building.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hans Weil from Berlin: "This caliber was offered [/FONT][FONT=&quot]by the American company AIKIN, Lambert & Co. from New York, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maiden Lane 23, which existed before 1860. In addition to jewels and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]watches, this company offered Gold Pens [of their] own production and later the first [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Fountain Pens. AIKIN, Lambert & Co. still exist in the USA under the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]brand name ALCO ".[/FONT]

9. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Really Cool info Dave... Thanks !! Longines moved to a new factory approx 1870 ?

10. Dave Chaplain

NAWCC Member

Hi John, most sources list the date of the "new factory" as 1867.

11. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  12. Dave Chaplain

NAWCC Member

Thank you Enrico! I'd heard of that document but had not found and read it. It's a great read, it fixes some of my assumptions, and makes more clear the relationship between Georges Agassiz and Longines and the context of their split!

13. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agreed !! Very interesting and though document that appears quite factual.. Beside the Agassiz Longines family history a great insight to the Swiss watchmaking evolution.. The machine made watch and how
    the American Watchmaking industry influenced the Swiss to a large degree..

Thanks Enrico !! Learned a Lot this morning.. :)