longines blue jewels

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I do not know details but to my knowledge the first watch to feature deep blue jewels was teh US made Edward Howard, a prestige watch made in the 1920's as part of a US makers competition to make the most expensive simple watch.

I have seen Ed Koehn and PAtek Philippe watches that also used these but until now I have not seen ine by Longines.

The difference betgween blue and clear and red is small "Dopants" in the aluminum oxide and these make no functional difference but they do add a lot of perceived value.

Reactions: myk

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
There is a watch in the Royal collection with blue sapphire jewels, it was a gift from Victoria to Prince Albert

wakitisyo

Mar 5, 2021
www.instagram.com
Country
Since the case is stamped with "SKS", which stands for "Seikosha", I believe that this Longines imported only the movement and cased it in Japan.

I feel that I see pocket watches with blue jewels more often in Japan than on ebay, for example.

ロンジン 懐中時計 ブルーサファイア ダイヤモンド受石
ユリス・ナルダン 懐中 ブルーサファイア
INTERNATIONAL WATCH CO. 懐中時計 - スイス製
本日の1個!(ミドー青石懐中、パワーウォッチの補足) - 古時計と小物の雑貨屋 モキ+(モキタス) 富岡八幡宮骨董市に出店中!!

This leads me to speculate that the demand for blue jewels was very high in the Japanese market at that time.

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region
Since the case is stamped with "SKS", which stands for "Seikosha", I believe that this Longines imported only the movement and cased it in Japan.

I feel that I see pocket watches with blue jewels more often in Japan than on ebay, for example.

ロンジン 懐中時計 ブルーサファイア ダイヤモンド受石
ユリス・ナルダン 懐中 ブルーサファイア
INTERNATIONAL WATCH CO. 懐中時計 - スイス製
本日の1個!(ミドー青石懐中、パワーウォッチの補足) - 古時計と小物の雑貨屋 モキ+(モキタス) 富岡八幡宮骨董市に出店中!!

This leads me to speculate that the demand for blue jewels was very high in the Japanese market at that time.
Congratulations, a spectacular Rockford.
regards enrico

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ds23pallas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller