Longines “The Webb C Ball Co” marked on the dial.

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
I posted this in the American pocket watch side, under the show your Ball Watch forum. But would like to know more about it. I Have looked all over but have not found anything. So anything will help. All the information I have is what I listed, which I took from the watch. The serial number I looked up and the 1919 date was given. Any idea how many of these were made for Ball and for how long? Was the movement considered of good quality back then compared to the American movements made? I cleaned it an had a slight problem with the winding and setting of time, found the long arm spring was out of place and it is running fine. Thanks Rodney

1919 Longines Webb C. Ball Co. 12s, 17 Jewel, Cal 1889. in a 14k White Gold Filled Art Deco Case Wadsworth Shape Pat 12 9 24 number 7188160. Movement Serial number 3828077. Pendent set. I have a close up of the movement stamped “Made expressly for the Webb C, Ball Co. By Longines watch Co. Swiss Seventeen (17) Jewels Adjutsted to temperature and two Positions.”

1 face.jpg 2 L.Ball.jpg 4 webb.jpg 5 movement.jpg

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Hmm... As compared to American movements?

The most common Ball watches you'll see on the American side are his Railroad and Commercial Standard watches. I think this is a whole different ball of wax than what you have.

Your watch is a gentleman's watch, and the Longines inside is of above average quality. It is fully jeweled, adjusted with a patent regulator. Similar to say... An Elgin G.M. Wheeler grade 347, or a Waltham Model 1894 Royal, or Hampden Aviator/ 17J Paul Revere. (If someone has better analogies please share).

It's a beauty. Longines will tell you what they have in their archives on your watch. Go to their website and the service is free.

Reactions: Rodney Leon

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Ball sold a fair number of Swiss movement in their watches.

Longines of this era are good watches but low in value because they made so many of them.

They were well regarded but not prestige. Their US distributor was Wittnauer, who also handled Agassiz and Audemars Piguet.

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
Ball sold a fair number of Swiss movement in their watches.

Longines of this era are good watches but low in value because they made so many of them.

They were well regarded but not prestige. Their US distributor was Wittnauer, who also handled Agassiz and Audemars Piguet.
Thanks for the additional information, I did request information from Longines Historical department, I will be interested in what they might add. I will have to research Agassiz and Audemars Piguent as I am not familiar with them. I have 15 other Ball watches and 1 New Swiss Ball Trainmaster Secometer. I Thought this one was interesting and so far it works perfect.

Last edited:

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Agassiz was the better brand, like an Honda and Accura. Agassiz was started separately but the founder left it ot his nephew who owned Longines so one person owned both.

Reactions: Rodney Leon

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
It's a beauty. Longines will tell you what they have in their archives on your watch. Go to their website and the service is free.
Hi this is a followup of what Longines found out on this watch. So thanks for your input. I see I was off on the date. But maybe someone else that buys one of the ball models can benefit from the information. I checked out the Agassiz watches they are not cheep but look nice.

Further to your request, we are pleased to provide the information contained in Longines' handwritten registers.

Originally, the serial number 3'828'077 identifies a Longines mechanical manually wound movement, caliber 18.89. It was invoiced on 24 September 1925 to the company A. Wittnauer Co., which was at that time our agent for the USA.

The other parts of the watch were produced locally under license from Longines. Unfortunately, since the relevant archives are not in our possession, we are unable to provide any further information on your model.

For your information, Longines does not provide information regarding the number of pieces produced of a specific model. But at that time (and far after), Longines movements were among the best worlwide. This movement is equipped with a special regulator-adjuster, i.e. a device for facilitating fine adjustments of the index to correct the daily rate of the watch, which makes it a very accurate watch, in addition to the overall good quality of the movement.

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-