Longcase

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by DeanT, Aug 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Circa 1700 longcase arrived last week. 11 inch dial and small ebonized case. The case is wonderful proportions but is badly refinished at present. Maybe needs to be stripped and re-ebonized. Anyone know what was used to ebonize cases?

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    now you have it can we see more of the case. Took ages this one! (there is another thread about it somewhere)

3. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's come photos of the case. Its small at 202cm (6'7"). The close ups show the over painting without proper preparation of the surface and also a piece of pine covering a crack which should have been repaired before repainting.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Nice early clock. I think I would leave the case as it is. No signature anywhere on the dial or movement?

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a cracker isn't it Peter? One of my favourites, another poor listing by an auctioneer, now that longcase just get lumped in with furniture they seem to get the strangest of descriptions.

6. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Dean,

Tough call on the case refinishing..?? I like the size. It'll do until you gather in a Fromanteel. ;)

Regards Ralph

7. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i like the way it looks, but you're the one who has to live with it.

8. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User
    Donor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Really a very nice longcase Dean.

Personally I would be very conservative with what is done with the case. Perhaps reverse any significant horrible repairs and then leave it, in my humble opinion.

9. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Retired from computer program/product/project mana
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your last photo showing the right side of the hood and upper trunk suggests any attempt to refinish the case may open Pandora's box. It appears as if someone has used a great deal of a filler thereabouts. And applied it pretty poorly and finished it in an even worse way. I had a Vienna regulator done up like that, the filler was auto body plastic filler and it was applied over what was left of the case parts following a serious infestation of wood worms. No sign of worms in what can be seen of your case, thankfully. But, whatever lies beneath in your case is likely to be unpleasant and may require some serious wood replacements.