• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Longcase weights: which way round?

jeules0

May 26, 2009
Kent, UK
Country
Region
On my c1850 Scottish longcase clock are 2 weights-one marked 11 pounds, one marked 13 pounds. Currently, I have the 11 on the strike and the 13 on the going train. Is this right? Read on a longcase website that they should be other way round, but can't find a definitive answer. Clock runs fine as is, but obviously I'd like to get it right so not to do any damage. I know you guys will have the solution! Thanks, Chris.

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
Chris, the heavier, 13 lb. weight is generally used on the strike train. 11 lbs. is the norm for a longcase going train. I don't think any damage would occur over a short period but the robust strike action works better with a heavier weight. When a clock strikes, the wheels have to get going and accelerate rather quickly; not so with the steady going train. The going train is really a tortoise compared to the strike train.

Michael

jeules0

May 26, 2009
Kent, UK
Country
Region
Chris, the heavier, 13 lb. weight is generally used on the strike train. 11 lbs. is the norm for a longcase going train. I don't think any damage would occur over a short period but the robust strike action works better with a heavier weight. When a clock strikes, the wheels have to get going and accelerate rather quickly; not so with the steady going train. The going train is really a tortoise compared to the strike train.

Michael
Thanks, Michael, that seems to concur with what I have read elsewhere.

I think I put them the other way round because on Vienna-style wall clocks the slightly heavier weight (if there is one) goes on the time side (Or does it:???: Got me wondering now!)

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
Chris, I am not Vienna-style wall clock collector but I imagine their weights would have been chosen for the same mechanical reasons as longcase ones. I believe original Vienna wall clocks were very well-made so their going trains would not have needed "extra help".

I looked at a few high-end Vienna-style wall clocks on Derek Roberts's website and actually they all seem to use the same size weights, even on 3-train movements.

Michael

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Read on a longcase website that they should be other way round, but can't find a definitive answer.
There isn't one, Chris, as this is a hand-made clock, and the maker would decide. Many are the same weight on both trains.

As others say, the heavier one is probably for the strike, and my guess is that if the clock stopped because it needed a clean and lube, someone has swapped the weights around.

The last one I overhauled where that had been done made the pendulum hit the case sides until I put the weights the right way round! :eek:

jeules0

May 26, 2009
Kent, UK
Country
Region
There isn't one, Chris, as this is a hand-made clock, and the maker would decide. Many are the same weight on both trains.

As others say, the heavier one is probably for the strike, and my guess is that if the clock stopped because it needed a clean and lube, someone has swapped the weights around.

The last one I overhauled where that had been done made the pendulum hit the case sides until I put the weights the right way round! :eek:
Thanks, Michael & Mike. When I bought the clock at at Detling antiques fair the weights weren't attached, so the decision to put the heavier one on the going train was mine. I have now swapped the weights round so the strike has the heavier one and it's running fine, as it indeed it did with them the other way round. The weights are a matching pair made by Gill and marked 11 & 13.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mptha59
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit