Longcase date problem

digitalpan

Oct 29, 2012
London, England
Country
Region
Hi everyone

Just into the workshop is an English long case movement. The name on the dial is William Harris of Chippenham, who is listed as working "about 1770". The dial is a single sheet of engraved silvered brass with a round cut-out in the arch - a figure of Old Father Time holding a scythe, connected to the crutch, rocks back and forth. The clock has a long centre date hand, the days of the month are engraved just inside the Roman numerals. The dial and rocking figure suggest to me a later, early 19th century date.

P1000814A.jpg

The clock has been behaving erratically, stopping for no apparent reason, on the most recent occasion stopping in mid-strike. I took the hands and dial off to see the strike mechanism and found this:

P1000812B.jpg P1000813B.jpg

The date hand wheel is pushed by a peculiar lever soldered to the intermediate wheel, and seems to sometimes clash with the rack tail when striking. Parts of this mechanism seem to me to be non-original (the detent spring looks newish) so I'm wondering if it's a bodge job. I've not come across this type of date hand mechanism before, and I can't find any references or photos. Can anyone point me to any reference source, or suggest how it should be arranged?

Regards

Ian

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
It might be that someone misplaced a washer/spacer to set the spacing.
Look at the end play to see if in the right position things clear.
Otherwise it looks like the date arm needs to be reset to clear.
Check all the clearances including the front plate before taking action.
Tinker Dwight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morbier
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Illinois Watch Company by Kent