Logo Change on Schatz 49 Clocks

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by KurtinSA, Jul 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's unclear to me when the logo was changed on the Schatz clocks. It gets a little confusing when you look in the guide for a plate...you have to be sure to look under either the Aug. Schatz & Sohne section or in the Jahresuhrenfabrik section.

There are several "49" plates in the 1014 range which have Aug. Schatz in the logo and dates in the pictures ranging from "1 50" to "5 64". But for plates 1281 and 1283 in the JUF section, there are dates of "9 53" and "1 54".

The sons became part of the business in 1923 and August Schatz died in 1927. I'm not sure why the flip-flop on the logo at this late date.

Kurt

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I decided to take a look at my own clocks and not rely on what's in the repair guide. I think I see the pattern and have a period of time when the logo might have changed.

So, I have 18 Model 49 clocks and wrote down the dates and logos and sorted them by date. It have a "2 54" build clock with the JUF wording in the logo and the next clock chronologically is "6 54" and it has "August..." wording in the logo. All the clocks on either side of those dates are consist up to "2 54" and then after "6 54". So it looks like somewhere in that range the logo was changed.

I added my Model 53 clocks (16 of them) to the mix, and it seems that the date can be tightened up more. A number of them leading up to one with "5 54" all have JUF in the logo. The next in order is "9 54" with "August..." in the logo....the rest of them follow suit.

By combining the two models, it would seem that the JUF version of the logo was used through "5 54" but then beginning in "6 54", they began using the "August..." logo. I don't see anything in the 1981 catalog and I haven't read about any specific corporate event which might have driven this change. Maybe the family of August Sr. decided to bring out more the fact that they had moved away from the early JUF days and that the sons, and grandsons (?) were being reflected in the company logo.

If anyone has some thoughts on the summer 1954 and what might have driven the change, it would be interesting to hear about it.

Kurt

3. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JUF used both logos simultaneously for some time, will have to look at my notes to see the dates but all after WW2. The Jahresuhren-Fabrik logo was used almost entirely for their up-market clocks.

4. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There may be some Remington Rand involvement as well as differences in markets (UK vs: US vs: AAFES, etc.)

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good point, Martin. I haven't cross-checked RR with the use of the JUF or Schatz logos, so that would be of interest to see if there is any distinction.

6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 KurtinSA, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    There's been some discussion about the RR stamp and the best that I've been able to get from them is that the stamp disappeared "in 1954".

Some questions about Schatz clocks

I have two clocks in the 18 Model 49 that I reviewed that have RR stamps. One does not have a stamp, so it is in the early period 1949 when the model first appeared before dating began. The second one has a date of "3 53".

I have one 1000-day clock with the RR stamp on it. It is dated "7 54" with the "Aug. Schatz" in the logo, so this fits with the possible June 1954 changeover date.

I also have two other 1000-day clocks with RR stamps on them. One has a date stamp of "9 55" and the other is "1 55". Both have "Aug. Schatz" wording in the logo. This is in conflict with the "in 1954" when the RR disappeared...could be that many, many plates were already stamped and they went ahead and completed the clocks per some commitment? Seems like a long time after the Remmington relationship might have ended.

Kurt