Login Persistance

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by Ralph, Nov 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    It seems like the last few days I have to keep re-logging in. Did something change.

In the past I rarely had to log in.

Ralph

2. Ralph

Ralph Registered User

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I just logged out and logged back in and noticed the "keep me logged in" box was unchecked... I'll wait and see.

Ralph

3. Ralph

Ralph Registered User

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    This morning I had to log in again.??

Ralph

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We have not changed anything. Is it possible your computer is now clearing cookies? The feature does depend on the cookie it sets still being in your browser cache when you come back.

5. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't changed anything on my computer recently or installed updates but I now need to log in frequently, but not every time. Are others getting this too?

6. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't seen any change in behavior - I never have to log into the MB unless I've manually logged out.
    Are you talking about the MB login, or the NAWCC login? I think they've been making changes over there.
    Also, my browser (FF) updates itself automatically - I don't have to actually DO anything to install browser updates. It just updated itself a couple days ago.

7. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, this is the message board log-in. It does not seem to happen when I go the the NAWCC home page, which seems to remember me.

Every time that I restart my browser (Chrome v.55.0.2883.75 running under OSX El Capitan v.10.11.6) and go to the NAWCC Message Board web site I need to do the NAWCC login (blue button) again. This even happens when I go to the message board from the NAWCC home page where I am logged in. When I first click the blue “NAWCC LOG IN” button I get a vBulletin Message - “Invalid Redirect URL (http://www.mb.nawcc.org). Attempts to reload the page bring up a blank screen at mb.nawcc.org/nawcclogin.php. However, if I go back to my bookmark - www.mb.nawcc.org - it now remembers me and I am logged in (gold button) without having to enter username or password. It takes me at least three steps every time I want to log on.

This does not happen with my Safari browser which remembers me without a hitch, so I suspect the site may not be properly optimized for Chrome?.

Also, I used to use the guest log-in instead of NAWCC log-in and did not have this problem, but it has been so long since I needed to log in that I have forgotten my guest entry.

8. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry,

The Message Board has no facility to remember your NAWCC login, only the local login using the username and password fields with the remember me check box checked will do that. The process leaves a cookie on you computer that facilities the auto login. I use the same password on both sites to address the problem with remembering the password.

When you log in with the blue button on the main site, when you navigate to the Message Board, the button will still be blue, but if you click on it, it will immediately change to orange and you will be logged in. However, you will not be remembered on the Message Board after you close the browser.

I am sure this could be fixed in some way, but I do not know how to do that and still have membership for our non-NAWCC contributors.