Discussion in 'Forums Help & Notices' started by Dick C, Sep 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The small blue icon that did appear in the past after I logged on is now missing in IE11 and Chrome

If I put the cursor over where it did appear I can still access options.

2. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can you post a screen shot? I'm not sure I understand your problem. The login icon I'm thinking about becomes my avatar after I've logged in. If you're already logged in, why do you need a login icon to login again?

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    It takes him to his profile page and a host of other things. In short, it takes the place of an actual avatar when none is used.

4. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm still not sure I understand. If the user doesn't have a custom avatar, I think it displays a generic blue head where the avatar should be displayed. I don't recall ever seeing a login button anywhere - after I've logged in. It disappears because I'm already logged in. I DO see the "NAWCC Login" button in the upper right corner - which serves a different purpose.

5. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bill,

In Firefox, the blue generic avatars are no longer displayed against threads as they were at first. I don't know whether this has any bearing on Dick's question.

Regards,

Graham

6. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you. I hadn't noticed that. I'll look into it.

7. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here it is. I also agree that the blue avatars on the left are also missing in Chrome and IE11
    NAWCC Missing Icon.jpg

8. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Bill Stuntz, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Thanks. I think I know what happened. Un-intended side effect of changing the avatar background/transparency. If you look closely, your user info on the left shows a VERY faint WHITE head on the almost white background - that used to be blue. And white on white in that sticky header bar is completely invisible. It only seems to affect users who haven't created a custom avatar. Some users complained that their avatars looked horrible with the blue, & Tom changed something. I don't know EXACTLY what he changed, so I can't change it back.

9. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I see the white outline on the left because the background white is not pure white.

However, on the line at the top with HOME FORUMS MEDIA RESOURCES MEMBERS, ETC. it does not show because both the head and the background appear to be pure white.

Appears that he made the background of the avatars transparent (no color)

10. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep. That's what he said. I was editing my previous post while you were typing yours.

11. Markus Harris

Markus Harris Registered User

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually, the background of the avatars was ALWAYS transparent. But there was a color glitch, so that "transparent" colors were instead displayed as "blue." Against the off-white background, that kinda worked.

When Tom fixed the transparency issue, the "blue" went away. When he changed the background color to a whiter shade of pale (pardon the pun) you could no longer see the white "face" icon against the new background color.

12. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Senior Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was one of the complainers that led Tom to make the initial change. With my avatar, the background is transparent so you should only see the watch regardless of the underlying background. Now, with the latest 'compromise' you see that 'whiter shade of pale' around the watch. Not as bad as seeing dark blue, but still not the desired effect.

13. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In order to make transparent background avatars work, the default avatars would need to be changed to something other than white silhouettes. As they are now defined they require a colored background to be seen. They were designed that way to work with all possible color schemes. I will look into giving the default avatars a color other than white, which will allow us to restore the transparent background for avatars.

Since that affects how new visitors become registered users, we do not want it broken. We really do want people to join us.

14. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recolored the default avatars so that boys are pale blue, girls are pale pink and uncommitted are pale gray. As soon as I can get those to display, I will change the background back to transparent for the avatars.

15. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I see the pale blue; however, the white avatar is now an X

16. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You caught me in the middle of a careless edit. It should be OK now.