Locked Out

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Marty101, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:16 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Retired-bad back but still movin'.
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Friends,I have a pal who just acquired a beautiful old watchmakers work desk,roll top,lots of drawers,etc.

The drawers are closed and locked,and he has no key. He is not sure how to proceed. Are these keys of a generic nature? Can the lock be picked easily?
    Anybody have experience with this?

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most clock repairers are adept at picking locks, I think mostare only one or two lever.

3. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Friend,that helps-if the keys are often of a simple design,maybe a generic type key will work or can be modified. He's afraid to do harm of course,and I can't blame him. I've only seen pics of these old desks 3-4 times.

4. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Call a local locksmith. That is what they do

Tom

5. Bohemian Bill

Bohemian Bill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Nov 5, 2010
    CENTRAL TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Marty..I have a antique rolltop watchmaker's desk made in 1890's from Chicago with cast iron pedal for a lathe. All the drawers are locked when the rolltop is closed and covered. When the roll top is fully open, it depress a wooden locking lever hidden in the back. It is accessable through the 8 inch by 16 inch lower storage door. My lowest right hand door, I sometime have to reach in the back and push it down to help it totally unlock all the drawers. I hope this will help

6. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Bill that data might just be "key" haha-but seriously I do thank you. This is an early rolltop and it is closed...you certainly sound like experience speaking. I want to help this man if I can,and I will forward this immediately.

Hiring a locksmith would most likely solve this trouble but it would be a last resort.