Locarno Swiss Pocket watch reassembly problem

finiteguy

Oct 28, 2003
Attached is a photo of this pocket watch with the dial removed. Does anyone know where that circled part goes? I can't figure out where the part belongs.

republic watch part.JPG

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
could it be a set lever which would probably go between the plates, screwed down with a shoulder screw so it could pivot in a system kind of like a Waltham model 1888?

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi finiteguy,

Yes, it's the setting piece, which fits as follows:

DSC00791.JPG

As roughbarked says, the screw retaining this piece is fitted from the other side of the plate and you have to put it place before the barrel bridge is fitted, because it has a flange which keeps it from dropping out completely:

IMG_0881.JPG

The screw also has a shoulder which allows it still to turn in the plate whilst screwed fully home in the setting piece.

Regards,

Graham

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Once the barrel-bridge is set and you're working on the keyless mechanism on the dial side, you can screw the setting lever in place. FWIW, I place the set-lever over the protruding threads of the screw. Then, with a finger cot, or perhaps a piece button of pithwood, I hold the lever in place with my left hand and invert the movement so I can turn the set-screw. It usually catches pretty easily.
Another thing, there's sort of a magic number of turns to turn the set-screw to release the stem without having that set-lever drop behind the dial, 1 1/2 turns. So to install the stem after a fresh assembly, turn the screw all the way in. Then back it off the 1 1/2 turns, slide in the stem, and tighten the screw. Sometimes a little extra 1/4 turn is needed get things set. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
russian_sub_clock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff