Loads of junkies (I will not buy any more junk watches)

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Dano4734, Jun 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dano4734

Dano4734 Registered User

as punishment for acquiring so many absolutely junk watches I have go to the blackboard:

I will not buy any more junk watches,
    I will not buy any more junk watches

However, I probably will anyway

PatH and Tim Fitzgerald like this.
  2. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I.m sure we all have those day's

Dano4734 likes this.
  3. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had to really come to terms with this too dano.

I feel like I buy better watches than I used too. If I want a watch, I have to learn something from it, that's what I've been doing now. Wether it's repair, or research. I have picked up a few watches that can be construed as "collectable", and I have a list of certain watches I'm waiting for.

I bought two irrelevant watches late last week, both inexpensive. One is american for the English market I'll show when it gets here (not a high grade, just really neat). This has nothing to do with my collection or research, but once I found it I couldn't get it out of my head.

The other is the openfaced version of a watch I already have, and the roller Jewel is broken, which is the next repair I want to learn. A good victim it shall be!

When I get tired of some, I sell them, and try to replace them with better ones.

If we have to write on a blackboard for buying junk watches, I'm gonna need alot of blackboard space!

PatH and Dano4734 like this.
  4. 12V6GT

12V6GT Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Roseville
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I agree it's a hard problem. I keep thinking, "This one would be fun to fix." Also, since I'm a total amateur, I think that when I buy these 'junk' watches I have unlimited time available. Thus, I clearly have more projects than I ever will get done in my life time. So, it's the 'hunt' that's fun, a little fixing, a little learning, a little research, and the 'junk' watches let me do that cheaply. :) So, when my Son, has to sell all this crap off when I'm gone, hopefully somebody else will be buying 'junk' watches. :) Stay the course Dano! Buy more 'junk'! It's totally okay!

Dano4734 likes this.
  5. Lee Passarella

Lee Passarella Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Male
    tech writer
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Been there and done that so many times that I need a long break from buying anything, good, bad, or indifferent. My only redemption is that since I couldn't fix a watch to save my life, I buy my junkers in pretty decent, working condition. Still doesn't make them worth much.

6. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is this a REAL thread? Looks like some posters have too much TIME to waste

7. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess there's always enough time to express discontent

8. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's not really an intention of mine to fill up anything with b.s., I was just responding to Dano obviously having a bad day and blowing off some steam.

I can agree that it's not the model of the message board, but it happens.

If I wanted to draw a response unrelated to american pocket watches, it would look like post #6 or #7. :eek:;)

9. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Sorry if I offend, however, It would be the best decision to "NOT respond to this nonsense, in that, it may discourage this non-appropriate posting

:eek::D;)

10. rolandantrobus

rolandantrobus Registered User

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Well I'm all for this non-appropriate post. I like it and if you don't, don't bother reading and writing in it.
    Since when did we go all "highbrow".

Dano4734 likes this.
  11. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I must admit when I first saw this topic I was wondering where it should
    go, and if it would be better off in "Members news and views" or "Member comments and discussion".
    I don't think it's a bad topic(some of the responces are interesting and humerus),
    it's just where on the Forum should we have a conversation about the
    bad choices people have made while collecting. This is
    a universal topic and not specifically about American Pocket watches,
    no particular types of watches are referenced
    (it could also pertain to clock collectors bad choices).

I have decided to move it to members news and views.

Rob

viclip likes this.
  12. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Retired-bad back but still movin'.
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    In my opinion,Dano's only problem is a lack of tables. If you buy junkers,you have stock for potential winners.

My obsession,personally, leans toward the potential in restorations and repairs.

My mantra leaned toward the positive-anything-such as:

"I WILL restore some of these junkers" or "I WILL hear some ticking in this pile of junk soon" etc.

-Consider my madhouse of a shop:
    Not counting shelving,cabinets etc. I have two main tables and a bench. They cover (1) junkers,parts movements,hopeless cases,"stock" etc.,(2) my current dozen or so projects-repair jobs and hopefuls, usually waiting for parts or inspiration...and (3) my bench for finishing work,touch-ups,quickie repairs,experiments and whatever else.

All the "junk" is my stock for whatever comes out of the other end at #3 above. Restoring junk to treasure is where it's at,and it takes a large pile of "junk" to keep me supplied in the stock I need. One of the most wonderful things about this horological world is it has never bored me. Specializing in any corner of this hobby can take years. Things still remain open ended. There are always unexpected surprises.

Then I have my desk with computer and a couple small tables for "spill-over" just to keep things hopping. :) Whew-I better quit!

musicguy and Rick Hufnagel like this.
  13. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

One of my biggest thrills is turning a pile back into a watch! Love your enthusiasm, I'm going to have to try that when I'm beating my head off my work table later trying to get one together!

musicguy likes this.
  14. Dano4734

Dano4734 Registered User

Here is a better idea jim Haney since it really does appear you have no sense of humor or wish to simply throw stones a fellow collector how about simply deleting all of my posts and we can both go our separate ways

15. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim has strong feelings about what is appropriate in the American Pocket Watches forum. I think this thread was initially posted there. He should not have made his remarks as relating to the entire message board. This discussion is entirely appropriate and useful in the context of how we all deal with the urge to pick up "interesting" things.

I have a pretty nice collection of Barraud watches, clocks and chronometers, but I have a lot more junk movements that I have bought to provide a back fill to understand what they were doing at any particular point in time. The intellectual content of those watches is just as important as the fine examples. the only issue is the need to catalog and store them. :)

I would never try to fix one myself. It's brokenness is part of its story.

PatH and Dano4734 like this.
  16. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I can say this about my collecting in general. Most of my collection would probably be considered "junk" by most die hard collectors. From my 200+ clocks and 150+ watches they are all priceless to me. Unfortunately I'll never have the time to repair them all, but I have saved several from trash heaps and being "punked". Eventually my junk (I hope) will be someone else's treasure. Be Careful what you say, I always tell my better half "no more clocks or watches" and then I see something I like. This is part of collecting and the discussion belongs here just as much as repairing does.

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  17. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Retired-bad back but still movin'.
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    We all get grouchy;I can be a real blankety-blank of a blank some days. Some of my PW's can be just as bad! But I haven't thrown one against the wall yet. :)