Living a long time

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Sep 7, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    What are your chances of reaching 100 years of life? The oldest Americans comprise just 0.02% of the population, or about 55,000 people according to a report from the Census Bureau that examined 2007-2011 data from an American Community Survey.

Understanding, women live longer than men; four-fifths of centenarians are of the female gender. And, most of them are widowed and financially not very well off. So going by these statistics it may seem that I, as a man, am part of the species that are fortunate enough to live a life span of 100 years or longer.

In less than 3 months I shall reach my 101 first year of life. Even so, I do intend to live much longer than that and continue to do what I have always done…dream the dreams that you could possibly make come true. In my long lifetime, I am proud to say many of the things I dreamt about…did come true.

So, even in this advanced age, I will continue to do the things I do every day with a strong faith that my way of life will continue for years to come. Having no secret to a long life…my feeling is that being born with the longevity gene is your foremost hope in living far beyond the average age…as long as you continue to live in your present good health that permits you to savor and enjoy every day you wake up.

2. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Director
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

According to the UK Department of Work and Pension (the only source I could find quickly), a person born in 1915 had a likelihood of reaching 101 of 0.3%, but for someone born in 2011 it is 21%. A 99 year old this year has a 67% chance of living to 101. For someone born the year I was, it is 7.9%.

You have done exceptionally well.

Robert

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recall reading somewhere that 75% of all the people who ever made it to 65 are still alive today. It's going to get very crowded on this planet!

4. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than men who mention it." <grin>

Frank

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I remember reading somewhere that about 20% of the people who have EVER lived are alive today!

6. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That seems likely, I think the population of the world has doubled in my lifetime.

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I rechecked, and it's roughly 10% of the total are alive today!