NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The NAWCC is currently using GoToWebinar and GoToMeeting for our BOD and educational offerings.

I have been exploring other services that provide similar features. I am posting this to see if anyone here has experience with such tools. I am particularly interested in Zoom (which has been used for some committee meetings), WebinarJam and WebinarNinja in addition to Zoom.

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
Watch out for security issues. The FBI has been issuing warnings about Zoom

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I've used TeamViewer a lot for basic control of remote computer...always has worked well. I just realized they have a video capability although I'm now aware of anyone who has used it.

Kurt

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Watch out for security issues. The FBI has been issuing warnings about Zoom
The warnings are not actually about Zoom, but rather the default for setup that allows naive organizers to leave the meeting open to other presenters. Anyone using such a service should screen all those contributing content. We do that here by using screening services for spammers and only allowing registered members to post.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You can also have people who are joining sequestered in a room for verification before allowing them into the meeting. The members of the meeting are invited, and need a number and password to participate.

Robert Gordon

NAWCC Member
May 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Country
Region
Tom,
As to your original post, a subset of members of Chapter 31 used Lifesize for a while, but we have decided to go with an actual subscription to ZOOM for those Saturday meet-ups and future monthly Chapter meetings. Once we re-start meetings in person, we'll still do ZOOM for those that can't make it for one reason or another (distance, mobility issues, immune system suppressed, you name it...). Don't even need a computer, a phone call can get you in.
Yesterday morning, the 30th, was the first use of ZOOM and it's features. If you have questions, David our Treasurer got us up and running with it, he would be able to answer more technical questions. Plus youtube and google for discovery at a leisurely pace..."ZOOM screen menus"...hint, hint.
This is what can be done (honest, we did it!):
  • Pictures can be put on the screen (we didn't test putting video on).
  • The presenter can use their cursor to point to things on the screen, as well as put circles around them, can erase the circles, too.
  • Members from the audience can enable their cursor for pointing to items on the screen, as well as putting circles around/erasing circles, too.
Haven't had any experience with any of the other systems you named in the original posting. I am very wary of all forms of these conferences and such, I'm not a total Luddite, but having killed 2 computers at work (there, I said it), I understand that frustrations and nefarious motives are just a click away. (As well as the time-pit quagmire that the internet can be.)
I want our Chapter members to feel and be safe on their computers, not have some hesitancy about who might be gathering their browsing history for marketing purposes, etc.
I don't know whether the services you have used, or the ones you had questions about, are any better or worse than ZOOM. In our case, if it was left up to me, with all the different options out there, it would be a case of "Paralysis by Analysis". David had some time with ZOOM in a different context, so was comfortable with it and took the bull by the horns, we've got it.
Don't know if National could get a corporate service plan for any of the companies you wanted feed-back on, and Chapters could buy their version at a reduced "Affiliate" rate from National rather than paying retail. The intention being that National would be able to recoup the cost, not go into debt as a service provider. We went with the subscription because the free ZOOM package limited the time to 40 (!) minutes and, if memory serves me correctly, 25 "meeting" attendees.
This is the path we are taking, hope this gives the audience more information on why we took it. A tip o' the hat to David for his leadership in this.

Robert Gordon
NAWCC Chapter 31 President

Last edited:
Reactions: PatH

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
Thinking about the future...is anyone exploring an expansion of this whereby individuals that are not NAWCC members could pay a fee to attend meetings such as this. Open up facets of the organization to the world.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Some have been talking about a model that would be a little more like this community where we could contribute ideas and help each other without a financial commitment.
Those who were more interested in the research, restoration or commercial aspects might have a premium membership and some resources might be fee based.
Ultimately we still must generate income to support the NAWCC mission in order to be the NAWCC.
Contributing is best way to keep it going and that takes many forms including labor, knowledge, curiosity and cash.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Thinking about the future...is anyone exploring an expansion of this whereby individuals that are not NAWCC members could pay a fee to attend meetings such as this.
We have initiated a program in Chapter 190 in honor of former member Georgio Perissinotto whereby if a visitor joins the Chapter ($25 dues) we will pay their first year's NAWCC dues. We have already signed up a few members this way and the program was only a few months old when COVID-19 shut down our physical meetings. It is our belief that this program will be a win for everyone involved. I know it's not quite what you said, but it is a way to soften the initial financial blow of joining both the Chapter and the National. If we do our job, these new members will renew their membership in year 2 and beyond.

rubeg

NAWCC Fellow
Apr 1, 2009
Houston
Country
The combined Seattle chapters have now had 4 ZOOM chapter meetings, the latest with 27 in attendance including members from BC, Portland, Albuquerque, and Vista CA. We will continue with meetings on alternate Sundays at 1PM PST. All members are welcome to participate.

Reactions: PatH

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
As to the above question regarding video on Zoom - anything that can be displayed on the computer can be shared on zoom. The host can assign co-host privileges to anyone who wants to share something with the group. Then he can remove it if desired. If the group is large, the little "raise hand" can be used for comments. It's advantageous to mute everyone and require a raising of the hand for comment. Then the commenter can unmute himself, comment, and mute himself again .... or the host can handle it all and/or have a co-host assistant or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff