Listening to ticking on an Apple MacBook

Nathan S

Nov 24, 2021
Country
I am confident there are people on here who are competent on Macs.
I got a USB microphone hoping to plug it into a MacBook Air and be able to hear the amplified sound but I can't seem to get any sound out of the speakers. The scale on input devices in System Preferences shows the microphone is active. Any ideas appreciated.

Gyro Gearloose

May 23, 2022
Rocky Mt. High
Country
Region
I am confident there are people on here who are competent on Macs.
I got a USB microphone hoping to plug it into a MacBook Air and be able to hear the amplified sound but I can't seem to get any sound out of the speakers. The scale on input devices in System Preferences shows the microphone is active. Any ideas appreciated.
For what your wanting to do I suggest you download and install Audacity for Mac. Not only will you have much more control over the audio amplitude and see a graphical timeline on your screen but you will also have the ability to record and/or save your session.

Once you have Audacity up and running you will need to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and give Audacity permission to access your USB microphone. Here's a link to download Audacity for Mac:

Audacity for Mac

Nathan S

Nov 24, 2021
Country

Nathan S

Nov 24, 2021
Country
Glad I could help! BTW, what USB mike are you using?
I'm only using a £10 little clip on mic. It does what I want-alerts with sound if fluttering.
I have had to put the laptop on an additional usb cable so that I can turn the volume up or there is awful feedback.

Gyro Gearloose

May 23, 2022
Rocky Mt. High
Country
Region
I'm only using a £10 little clip on mic. It does what I want-alerts with sound if fluttering.
I have had to put the laptop on an additional usb cable so that I can turn the volume up or there is awful feedback.
Ah, so your clock has a problem with fluttering (maybe need to raise the fork a little?). I assumed you would be using the mike to put your clock in beat. What clock do you have?

Nathan S

Nov 24, 2021
Country
Ah, so your clock has a problem with fluttering (maybe need to raise the fork a little?). I assumed you would be using the mike to put your clock in beat. What clock do you have?
I have become obsessed with 400 day clocks and now have nine! There is a separate thread on here that I started about fluttering.
It was because three clocks that have been running perfectly all started to flutter, over a period of about a week.
The one I am tracking at the moment is a large K und O and it had been running really accurately since before last Christmas.
The others are a miniature K und O and a miniature Haller. Of course now I have applied my rural scientific approach they have all settled down again and are running nicely. I raised the fork about .020" on the Haller and it would not run, and so I put it down again and it's running ok. But if life needs to be without frustrations and irritations don't mess with 400 day clocks.

Gyro Gearloose

May 23, 2022
Rocky Mt. High
Country
Region
I have become obsessed with 400 day clocks and now have nine! There is a separate thread on here that I started about fluttering.
It was because three clocks that have been running perfectly all started to flutter, over a period of about a week.
The one I am tracking at the moment is a large K und O and it had been running really accurately since before last Christmas.
The others are a miniature K und O and a miniature Haller. Of course now I have applied my rural scientific approach they have all settled down again and are running nicely. I raised the fork about .020" on the Haller and it would not run, and so I put it down again and it's running ok. But if life needs to be without frustrations and irritations don't mess with 400 day clocks.
HA HA! Tell me all about this addiction. My big mistake was buying the "400 Day Clock Repair Guide". After reading that cover to cover, all was lost...

I read your "Flutter" post. It will be interesting to see if your mike setup will be helpful. Did you decide to give the Audacity software a try?

Cheers,
Frank B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danarog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner