Listening to the clock's heartbeat

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by AxelsHumanDad, Dec 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad New Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone else like listening to the sound of a healthy ticking clock? Silly question considering the caliber of so many this website.:thumb:
    I find myself occasionally standing in the corner with my ear against the clock case just listening to the perfect beat tick tock.

I have a 1970-something Howard Miller 610-160 New Yorker grandfather clock I adopted with the house I bought last year. It had some issues when I first put it in service.
    Sometimes the strike would run away until the weight bottomed out. Only sometimes. Sometimes the hour count wasn't even close. Only sometimes. A few times it would run fine and randomly stop.
    I found a postcard in the clock from a repair service addressed to the original owner so I'm guessing it was correctly serviced at least once. Knowing what I do about the old fella that lived here with the clock, I'm sure he had his hands in there too. It smelled bad, and the movement was covered with a green slimy film that I'm guessing was WD40. It was a mess.
    After much reading and re-reading here on this site I took a shot at my first clock service. I pulled the movement and after a thorough cleaning and careful lube, plus a new suspension spring and hands, it went back to its spot in the corner.
    I cut and finished a nice oak board to fit the corner. I have it fastened through the carpet with Spax torx head screws right to the sub floor. The house moves a lot in winter... A lot. I tweaked the screws to get the board level and solid. Using the adjustment feet on the clock I have it level measured at the board the movement sits on.
    A few adjustments of the pendulum hanger and it has been running without hiccup for 11 months. Timed with a Nixie clock app on my phone, it is as close to being dead-on as I can make it.
    Now I have an offer in on a Howard Miller Waterford grandfather that has gone silent. I think I'm ready for my next attempt at clock repair.

I get a little satisfaction knowing I extended this clock's life a little longer on my own. Sometimes I stand there, ear to the clock, listening... Anyone else do that or am I weird? ;)

PS- A big thanks to all the contributors here for getting me started in the right direction.

~Mike~

0ldMan, gleber, PatH and 1 other person like this.
  2. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No you are not weird
    Most clocks have a tick loud enough to change the ambience, of a room, for the better

AxelsHumanDad likes this.
  3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congratulations on bringing the clock to life again! It's so soothing to listen to the ticking, chiming and striking, and to be able to distinguish each one's "voice" in the choir. Like greeting old friends. Enjoy!!

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A quartz clock's tic tic tic tic will drive me insane, especially if I am trying to sleep. I've been in places where the clock is in another room and muted, but I still hate it when the room is quite and I can hear it through the wall. The rhythmic tic toc, especially for anything like a tall case clock with a longer period is music to my ears.

Tom

5. Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom
    I agree, the sound a quartze clock makes is not thhing like the tick of a mechanical clock

6. Shipsbell

Shipsbell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I love the sound of a clocks ticking, I find it very soothing. I love the sound of an inbeat clock. Patrick

Les harland and AxelsHumanDad like this.
  7. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, all!

I have some friends who had a new baby that cried a lot throughout the night. Their doctor suggested getting a mechanical alarm clock and putting it alongside the crib to soothe the little girl. It worked extremely well, and on the very first night, the baby's sleep was tremendously improved. However, they forgot that they had left the alarm on and fully wound. The alarm woke them, but the child never stirred!

Best regards!

Tim Orr

P.S.: In one apartment I lived in, I had so many mechanical clocks ticking that a friend said it reminded her of rain falling on a tin roof.

8. Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you are away from home a mechanical pocket watch is ideal for stopping a baby crying
    Modern wrist waches are often too quiet