Link to C.H. Meylan Serial Number Database

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Ethan Lipsig, Jun 15, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Ethan Lipsig, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2016
    I have created a heavily illustrated serial number database for C.H. Meylan pocket, purse, and pendent watches, with the goal of fostering a better understanding of this important maker's production. Here is a link to it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nimopjwit3iivli/C.H.%20Meylan%20Serial%20Number%20Database.doc?dl=0

The database begins with my tentative conclusions, as to which I would be grateful for your input and comments.

If you have any C.H. Meylans, please send me photos and a description if I haven't already listed the watch in the database. I will add your watch when I next revise the database.

Allan C. Purcell and MrRoundel like this.
  2. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fantastic work Ethan, I now might be able to identify some mystery movements of mine. Regards Ray

3. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ethan, on page 6 you have an ad for Mathez... Would this watch be a Meylan ? Would also like to know if you have an under dial photo of the special Tiffany spit second watch with the unusual under dial work?

Attached Files:

4. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, I am skeptical that your Mathez is a Meylan. The bridge work is different looking than every other Meylan 3/4 plate movement I have seen. I understand that Badollet made similar movements; it apparently had some connection with Meylan. Perhaps your watch is a Badollet. In any event, I have added your watch to my Meylan database, but noted that it probably isn't a Meylan.

As for the Tiffany rattrapante photo that you wanted, I believe that watch is one Jones Horan sold several years ago. Jones Horan has changed its website, making it impossible for me to pull up pictures. Hopefully this will only be a temporary problem. If you go to its website and locate the following item, you ought to be able to get the picture you want:

Auction Number:[FONT=&amp] 1301
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Lot Number: 304[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Date Sold: 2013-04-28[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Price: $2200.00[/FONT]

5. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Ethan.. With all the movements made by different manufacturers and used by so many differnt labeled watches it is difficult at best to easily identify who's is who's.... Attached is a Meylan for Black Starr & Frost NY .. I think :)

Attached Files:

6. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I previously sent this Meylan to Ethan via Email. It is a private label and confirmed CH Meylan.
    Look closely at the left facing lion. It is ca 1882 out of Newark, New York and has a US
    patented Wilmot regulator, (snail).

Keith

View attachment 306865 View attachment 306866

7. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Keith, could you show a photo of the setting lever please ?? If it is lever set...

8. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, thanks for the photo of the Black, Starr & Frost PL. It certainly looks like a Meylan, and I already have three other Black, Starr & Frost PLs in the database.

I cannot quite make out the serial number of your watch. What is it?

9. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been fascinated by C. H. Meylan actually living in New York. His work on the Waltham complicated watches is reported to have been his own handiwork while living in New York and finishing watches at the gold shop in the Robbins & Appleton building.

Here is a note from the report on watches from the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. http://mcintyre.com/present/The%20Philadelphia%20Centennial%20Exposition.pdf

10. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ethan, it is #10672...

11. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's the CH Meylan, (Gaven Spence) lever set photo John P.

Keith

103_0436 (1024x768).jpg

12. sternerp

sternerp Registered User

Nov 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Hi Ethan!

Very good job!

I'm not an great expert the C. H. Meylan manufacture, but what about these structures (all of them there C. H. Meylan's trademark was this standing lion)?I uploaded some photos from these movements.

I also have a good number of my Meylan database, i send this photos for your e-mail address in one packed file. Maybe there is duplication, and some of the photos is not visible the serial number. Sorry

Best regards! Peter from Hungary

badollet 14_1.jpg badollet 14_2.jpg badollet 16_1.jpg badollet 16_2.jpg
    ed bouchard by meylan 1_1.jpg ed bouchard by meylan 1_2.jpg james picard by meylan 2_1.jpg james picard by meylan 2_2.jpg

e a whipple by meylan 1_1.jpg e a whipple by meylan 1_2.jpg e a whipple by meylan 1_3.jpg

eri231 likes this.
  13. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps this is an opportunity to determine whether the standing lion belongs to Badollet or Meylan. There is also some previous discussion on whether the direction the lion faces is significant and what that significance might be.

14. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, I don't think C.H. Meylan ever used a trademark symbol. Mikrolisk lists C.H. Meylan, but does not show it as using any trademark symbols. I have never seen any trademark symbols on the many Meylans I own or have examine, with one exception. C.H. Meylan signed, a relatively small number of 3/4 plate movements. These movements have a standing lion trademark symbol that is just like the Badollet trademark symbol except that the lion is facing left, not right. Some speculate that these movements really were made by Badollet. I explained this in a 2012 posting:

Pritchard, who may be the original source of the view that Meylan used a left-facing lion trademark, herself gives what I think is the likelier explanation: Although the Badollet firm had changed its name from J.J. Badollet to J.M. Badollet, it still used the J.J. Badollet name and changed its name back to J.J. Badollet in 1890. Pritchard then notes that "[t]he left-facing lion may actually have been the trade mark of J.J. Badollet . . . and the right-facing lion may have been the trade mark of J.M. Badollet."

I believe the 3/4 plate Meylan movements were made by J.J. Badollet, and stamped with its left-facing lion trademark symbol.

15. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I said in my last post that "I believe the 3/4 plate Meylan movements were made by J.J. Badollet, and stamped with its left-facing lion trademark symbol." Sternerp has sent me a remarkable photo collection of Meylan and Badollet movements. One is of a J.J. Badollet-signed 3/4 plate movement stamped with a left-facing standing lion (a "rampant" lion, to be precise). This doesn't prove my belief that Badollet made these movements, but it is consistent with it

Attached Files:

16. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have just updated my serial number database to incorporate the treasure trove of examples that Sternerp sent me, most of which I had no already recorded. To access the updated database, use the link at the beginning of this thread, https://www.dropbox.com/s/f66ai9pot9...abase.doc?dl=0.

17. timesmoney

timesmoney Registered User

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    Hello to everyone,
    This is my first post on this forum,the amount of information on this forum is staggering and very well worth the read, so thank you to all those who post and take your precious time to inform.

I have a PW I need some help with dating which I believe belongs in this thread, Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated and I'm all eyes to learn.

20160826_174359.jpg 20160826_174616.jpg 20160826_174610.jpg 20160826_174604.jpg 20160826_174522.jpg 20160826_174510.jpg 20160826_174451.jpg 20160826_174438.jpg 20160826_174427.jpg 20160826_174411.jpg 20160826_174350.jpg 20160826_174633.jpg

18. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice watch! I have added it to my Meylan database. It is what I have classified as a Type F movement. I doubt that Meylan made or possibly even "finished" Tyoe F movements. As best I can determine they or their ebauches were made by Les Fils de Louis-Elisee Piguet, later known as Frederic Piguet and now part of Blaincpain. Type F movements were used and signed by numerous companies, such as P. Ditisheim, Audemars Piguet, Zenith, Frankfeld, Breguet, D. Nicole, Dietrich Gruen, Koehn, and Ekegren. The markings on your watch are not typical Meylan markings. It is the first Meylan I have seen that was marked "Extra," although I have seen a handful marked "extra adjusted."

The maker of your case is a mystery to me. I don't recall ever seeing its casemaker mark before, and I have no idea who it was, nor could I find it on the Microlisk database.

19. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    Wow. Thank you Thank you for the wealth of knowledge. I did go through your Dropbox assimilation of information regarding these watches. The closest one I found was the f as well. I'm not sure what the date on this would be but I'm thinking considering the case and the way it's put together sometime around the 1920s would be my best guess. I am still searching for the Hallmark of that casemaker which I am having extreme difficulty doing as well, so it's good to know I'm not just looking in the wrong place.

20. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the board, timesmoney :)

Even for Tiffany, that is some watch! I assume that those hour markers on the dial are baton diamonds - I have never seen those before. They probably have relatively little inrtrinsic value, but they certainly make a statement about the watch!

The case is made of a standard compund of 95% platinum and 5% iridium which in its day was more expensive than gold. I also cannot find that casemaker's trademark on Mikrolisk - I think that the mark is "A&SS" but Mikrolisk certainly doesn't record that.

21. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just to give an idea of current prices (all in USD per Troy Ounce), as of 8/26/2016:

Gold.........$ 1,321
    Platinum...$ 1,072
    Iridium.......$ 625

22. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since neither the movement, nor the case (post #17), are marked for Tiffany I am suspicious that the name on the dial may have been added by someone later. If the watch was not actually imported for Tiffany, the case marking might be for Alex Sabin & Sons, a New York wholesaler and watch importer. However, the case mark is a little unclear and the line on the left side may be part of the mark rather than part of its frame.

23. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ed's mention of precious metal values got me to surmise about why platinum-cased watches generally sell for more than similarly cased 18k watches.

One likely reason is that they are scarcer.

Another likely reason is the lingering "prestige" perception of platinum-cased watches stemming from them being much more expensive than 18k-cased watches when originally sold. For example, I have an old ad showing the "consumer price" of an 18k Hamilton 922MP "Masterpiece" watch as $250. Another old ad I have gives the "list price" of a platinum-cased 922MP as $825.

Another reason platinum watches sell for more than similarly cased 18k watches is that their precious metal content normally is more valuable even when gold is more valuable than platinum because platinum weighs 11% more than gold and platinum cases are 100% platinum or slightly lower, with the balance being the precious metal iridium, whereas 18k cases were only 75% gold, with the balance being much less valuable metals. Thus, if an 18k case weighs 30 grams, it contains 22.5 grams of gold, with a gross value of $955.08, using Ed's values. The same case in pure platinum would weigh 33.3 grams; using Ed's values, it would have a gross precious metal value of $1148.12. Its gross precious metal value would have been slightly less if the platinum had a bit of iridium in it.

Because the extra precious metal value doesn't justify the higher prices platinum-cased watches generally command, I believe it is their relative scarcity and aura of prestige that makes them more expensive. To cite one example, I have three Illinois Grade 439, two in 14k enameled cases and one in platinum. (Grade 439 is a scarce high grade 12-size 21j "extra" movement; 330-370 were made.) I paid $835 in 2008 for my first 14k example, when gold was selling for around $825 per ounce. I paid $536 in 2009 for my second 14k example, when gold was selling for around $950 per ounce. I paid $2,100 in 2011 for my platinum example, when gold was selling for around $1,620 per ounce and platinum was selling for around $1,530 per ounce. The three watches are all in about the same very good condition. The platinum example fetched a higher price in part because it came with a gold chain and penknife and because precious metal prices were substantially higher in 2011 than in 2008 and 2009. I haven't done the math to see how much the extra precious metal value contributed to the higher price, but it can't have justified paying more 2.5 -4.0 times the price of 14k examples. The extra cost undoubtedly was driven by platinum cases' aura of prestige and scarcity. Platinum-cased Illinois are very rare. I have never seen another one, but I have heard that a platinum-case Illini exists. There might not be any other platinum Illinois pocket watches. In comparison, 14k or 18k Illinois pocket watches, though uncommon, are plentiful. I have 29 in my collection.

The prestige aura for platinum-cased watches has carried over to brand new watches. Brand new platinum-cased wristwatches seem to be priced much higher than identical 18k cased wristwatches. I just checked one website for Patek Philippe prices. I listed two similar, same-size Calatravas, each with leather bands, the 18k example with a list price of 11,440 Euros, the platinum example with a list price of 19,030 Euros. This seems like a completely unjustified premium based on precious metal value. I haven't checked, but it is my impression that the premium one must pay to buy a brand 14k or 18k wristwatch over the stainless steel equivalent also is completely unjustified by the precious metal content. As often is the case, price/value is determined by the amount to which sellers and buyers agree, not intrinsic value.

24. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    @ Jerry T., thank you for the input! to be VERY clear I am super suspect that this may very well be an early marriage between the case and the movement. and that the Tiffany & Co may very well have been added at a point. the fact is that I'm just not sure.
    I have no history of this watch other than the fact that it has been in our possession for more than 30 years. My major query would be the date (Years) this type of movement was in use by Tiffany & Co. (which is hilarious because technically speaking its in use today by me!)you get the point though :).
    There are a few additional things to note: since I can see the watch here, #1 when placed in the light box to take the photos I see a difference in the color of components, why this is, I have no idea! I just had the watch serviced with movement maintenance, but I have pre and after pictures and those parts have always been there. #2 is the numbers which I presume are supposed to be 77 but they look like YY to me, any opinions on those?
    I will post a few more reference pictures here today when I get a second. and very detailed pictures of the hand engraved makers mark on the interior of the case.
    thank you by the way. I find all the responses to this thread very informative and though I have not been able to lock anything down the investigation is thrilling.
    Shannon Prade
    20160826_174427.jpg 20160826_174451.jpg

25. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    Marty R,

Yes the baguette cut stones are tested as Diamond, Personally i would think that Tiffany & Co. would have done a better job executing the setting and placement of these stones but again perhaps these were added by another jeweler for the original owner and not original the the dial, even though they seem to be as old as the dial itself,at one point I had one of the diamond markers fall off and was able to investigate the two holes for the placement of that marker under high magnification.
    Thank you for your response. I think its a good thing it survived the call for platinum for the war and wasn't melted, so at the end of the day no matter where it comes from its a great watch and keeps very good time.
    there are of course the tell all signs of age but nothing to turn a nose up at.
    S.P.

26. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    Wow Ethan,
    Great write up! very on track with the precious metals.
    I do know that working in platinum is also more labor intensive than gold and some associated cost are from labor and not the precious metal content at all. Most platinum was ordered turned in during the war and white gold was supposed to be only a temporary replacement (fix) for the scarce precious metal and yet today we still see white gold. I am glad that this example survived non the less! :coolsign: and your collection sound superb. thank you for sharing. As always I look forward to reading your educated and informative responses.
    S.P.

27. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #27 Jerry Treiman, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    First, let me provide a link to a prior discussion of this particular movement -
    https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?73109-Is-It-a-C-H-Meylan-a-Zenith-or-Something-Else
    As Ethan has said, Meylan probably did not make this movement and may not have even had much hand in its finishing.

Based on the style of case that many of these movements are in, I would place their age in the 1920s but could not be more precise.

#1 - The small plate with the jewel in it, at the escape wheel, is probably steel whereas the rest of the bridges are probably nickel. That is why they look different. The plate with the Meylan name was removable/replaceable to customize the movement for a finisher or retailer. You can see some of the variety in the linked thread, above. So it, too, could be a different metal from the bridges, hence the different appearance.

#2 - Those certainly are unusually formatted numbers and may give a clue to the watch finisher.

28. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    Jerry,
    O.K. so what a great link , thank you.
    what I gather from this read is basically its similar to today's ETA movements which are manipulated and built to the standards of whichever company uses them. so it could be one of a multitude of companies, possibly one commissioned by Tiffany and Company to produce this watch and then again possibly not! it seems like such a stretch to even try to extrapolate any additional information and just say " hey its a great watch!, it keeps time, and enjoy it" I like this though process really! as much as its nice to discover and nail things down to finite lineage, is as much as its also just as well to maintain the mystery and intrigue of a time piece that has survived these many years only to have its true identity shrouded by the same amount of time, lost for a moment until someone discovers another examples and all the pieces align.
    This is probably why Ethan is spending countless years putting all the known factors together as a reference and what a great resource it is. Knowledge is a gift that is not returnable with anything but a THANK YOU. Thank you to you Both.
    S.P.

29. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Countless years? No. I doubt I've spent a whole week on the database so far. Its pleasures are too modest to warrant greater devotion.

30. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    Curriousity Gets the best of me!!!!!!!!!! arghh . so after all I decided to take it apart! what I discovered is Most intriguing...

on the underside of the dial are a series of numbers as usual! BUT!!!!, WHOA... wait a min. as i tilted the dial to see reflection of the the light markings I clearly see that there is gently scratched signing of C.H. Meylan in cursive writing. what is this? a note from the person who put it together to say that this is the dial which goes with the movement or an actual signature? weird either way..I'm trying to get pictures of it now so stay tuned. if I cant get it in one shot Ill take a video and post it to my You tube than post the link here. either way this is going to take a min.

31. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    https://youtu.be/NdfDSNwaplw
    This is the YouTube link to the video I just shot showing the obverse of the dial where the cursive writing is C H Meylan.
    I will post the pictures when I get back to my desk.

32. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    #32 timesmoney, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    here are the pictures: 20160827_130555.jpg 20160827_130637.jpg 20160827_130728.jpg

has anyone ever seen this on the back of one of the dials and can shed light on this, I'm currently trying to make out the rest of the writing that is at the 12 O'clock position as well which is difficult because there are several letters and numbers transcribed one on top of another, and of course some one scratched the snot out of it as well at some point.:confused:

33. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    To return to an earlier point, I see no particular reason to doubt the authenticity of the Tiffany signature. The movement is of a quality which Tiffany would have used, and Meylan is a known supplier of Tiffany. The diamonds in the dial are real diamonds, and I guess would have been to expensive to have been attached to a fake Tiffany, and they seem to me entirely in keeping with the Tiffany ethos and style(s).

I accept that lack of signature on the case is problematic, but lack of such a signature has been known, and since this is a platinum case it may be that Tiffany themselves lacked the facilities to engrave platinum as opposed to gold.

I can't see any evidence that the movement does not fit properly inside the case.

And those latest pictures of the scratched name under the dial are very convincing to me :)

34. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the thoughts Marty R, after finding the markings on the back of the dial I have to agree with you both.

now I'm trying to decipher the words at the 12 position above the gear. it looks like this 20160827_152120.jpg 20160827_152133.jpg

35. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I know nothing about watches; however, the signature in red looks like "A. Blumstein". There was an Abraham Blumstein mentioned in the following PDF...presumably an employee of the Lucien Piccard Company:

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/commission_decision_volumes/volume-65/ftcd-vol65april-june1964pages963-1054.pdf

The blue looks like 61539 and the green appears to be 7837

36. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As an alternate interpretation, scratched marks like this are commonly seen on refinished dials and the numbers may just be the job number at the refinishers. The Meylan name might just have been used to identify the movement it belonged to. The other name might be the customer.

37. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Good thoughts, Jerry. You're right to point out that we have no idea when the scratch marks were applied.

That dial is puzzling me more and more. The diamond batons are classical early art deco, which means mid 1920s to late 1930s, and the fact that they are real diamonds (as confirmed by Timesmoney) suggests to me that the price/quality of the dial matches the case and the movement.

However, I have been looking more analytically at the dial, and now I see that the batons are not correctly placed on the dial. Particularly look at the 5 and 7 o'clock markers which are not symmetrically placed relative to the seconds dial. The 12 and 6 o'clock markers are also off centre. It is as though all the markers need to be rotated a few degrees clockwise!

I am suddenly convinced that this cannot be a dial as sold by Tiffany - it is unthinkable that they would countenance such an error. And now I can see the owrkmanship of those batons behind the dial, I agree with Timesmoney's earlier comment about the quality of workmanship of the settings, and now I understand what he meant about the "placement"!

Personally, I can't see why someone owning a Tiffany watch would have used any jeweller other than Tiffany to replace presumably standard hour markers with new diamond ones. It would be like sending a Rolls Royce to be re-upholstered in kid-skin at a local car repair shop. It is a sure way of destroying much of the (significant) value of the Tiffany name, in respect of both the dsign and the quality.

So I have now gone full circle from my previous view. I think the dial has been re-finished, which in turn suggests that the Tiffany name may have been forged, which in turn means that the batons may not be real diamonds (I would have these checked again, Timesmoney), although I still assume that the case is original to the movement.

38. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    #38 timesmoney, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
    Holy cow!

Well that didn't take long! I have got another one!.. really? how does this happen? there must be a few in this neighborhood.

Ladies and gents I have yet another C.H. Meylan Tiffany & Co. pocket watch in solid platinum, OK this time no diamonds on the dial and the movement is signed twice as well and the case back, a very nice example that I think should be added to the database.

xyzzytom_337293 xyzzytom_337289 xyzzytom_337290 xyzzytom_337288 xyzzytom_337294 xyzzytom_337295 xyzzytom_337291

On this one I am trying to figure out a date and type movement. as well as get everyone's thoughts. Like it, love it, just OK?

20170228_145852.jpg 20170228_150008.jpg 20170228_150037.jpg 20170228_150431.jpg 20170309_210923.jpg 20170309_210937.jpg 20170309_210946.jpg 20170309_210951.jpg 20170309_211000.jpg 20170309_211020.jpg 20170309_211029.jpg

39. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Times money, please post a photo of the movement. If the serial number isn't clear in the photo, please provide it as well. Also, please post a photo of the inside of the case back. I am pretty sure the case was made by Cress Arrow. The back cover should be stamped with its trademark.

40. timesmoney

Aug 26, 2016
    Jewelry Appraiser
    Del Mar, California
    Country Flag:
    #40 timesmoney, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2017
    I thought I did post both of those photos the inside other the movement and the inside of the case back.. hmmm they show up on my side. can you not see these? I will try again.. see if this shows up
    - - - Updated - - -

those showed up on my side..

Attached Files:

41. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The case is by Cress Arrow, as I expected. Would you post a photo of the entire movement.

42. twwatchdiy

twwatchdiy Registered User

Oct 15, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I brought C. Mercier marked pocket watch recently.
    The layout like C.H. Meylan product.
    Please give advice about this watch. Thanks!
    IMG_20191120_182242.jpg

43. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #43 Ethan Lipsig, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2019
    I collect C.H. Meylans and maintain the Meylan database hyperlinked in the first post of this thread. That hardly means I know all that could be known about C.H. Meylan, but I likely know as much as anyone knows. Subject to that caveat, I don't think your very nice Mercier was made by C.H. Meylan. I have never seen a C.H. Meylan of that design. Your watch's movement much more closely resembles the movement in one of my Bulova Phantoms.

upload_2019-11-20_18-56-10.jpeg

Bulova did not make the movement, of course. I don't know if anyone knows for sure who made it, but I think it likely was Louis-Elisee Piguet. Who actually made the movement of nearly any Swiss watch often is a mystery because Swiss firms very often bought in ebauches or even finished movements that they then signed and passed on as their own.

44. twwatchdiy

twwatchdiy Registered User

Oct 15, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your valuable information for identify this movment. Bulova Phantom's layout is identical to my watch. The watch back engraved PRESENTED TO
    O.H.S.
    BY N.J.M.C
    1920-1945
    show is Americ watch.