• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Linden Quartz Chime Movement #7012 Clock

Larry Orr

NAWCC Member
Nov 4, 2019
Crestview FL
Country
Region
I've read other posts about the futility of repair but I've been requested to try. One of the ladies in our ELK's lodge recently lost her mother and this was her clock and all the memories that go with it. Having said all that I've acquired another clock so I have 2 movements to piece together, maybe. I have one working motor and gear train. one working clock mechanism and associated parts. When I put all together I haven't been able to get them all to work. If anyone has a schematic or "successful" experience in repairing one of these I would appreciate some help. New movements of the same type are not available although I've found an alternative. I'd like to try the repair first before buying something else. Thanks, Larry

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i think my new tags line is going to be something like "you (generic) may think you're a good enough writer to describe what's going on in one paragraph instead of just uploading a couple of informative photos… each one the equivalent of a thousand words… but you're not! :)"

No pictures means that we have to go look this up to see what you’re talking about.… at least, based on the title of your post.

and, your words confuse.. If it’s a quartz movement, what do you mean you have one working motor and gear train? a working clock mechanism? what do you mean ‘the futility of repair’? repair us what we do, every day.

If it is a quartz movement clock just go to timesavers and buy a new quartz movement.

If you’re trying to fit a mechanical movement into a clock case we would need to see close-ups of the dial, of the inside of the case, of the movement.

photos, pls. and more clarity, as well.

let’s see if we really can help.

Reactions: JTD

Larry Orr

NAWCC Member
Nov 4, 2019
Crestview FL
Country
Region
Having been duly chastised for my inept technical description and appreciating the fact that pictures could possibly help, check out the ones I have attached. I should of known better when I submitted this morning, but the lack of sleep and coffee compounded the situation:oops::emoji_ok_hand: 5 pics in all. If I need to disassemble for better clarity let me know. The first was my effort to take all "working" parts and assemble them.

IMG_20211202_135452474.jpg IMG_20211202_135513975.jpg IMG_20211202_135538926.jpg IMG_20211202_135741369.jpg IMG_20211202_135842792.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Repair is possible but replacement with a new quartz movement might be your only hope.

AFAIK, there is only one quartz/ mechanical strike movement available and it strikes once on the half and counts the hours, on two rods. It is a large clock (6 1/2" wide) and probably won't fit your case.

Electronic chimers by Rhythm and Seiko are pretty good.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yeah. Obsolescence is a sad fact and your friend might have to settle for the case to satisfy her memories, with a regular quartz movement in it. I'd say you have a 50/50 chance of getting one movement working out of two.

Larry Orr

NAWCC Member
Nov 4, 2019
Crestview FL
Country
Region
Been a couple days working on this movement and I can recall a conversation some time ago about a cuckoo clock and you (shutterbug) providing me a reference for that clock. You told me to keep reading and the answer would avail itself. And supprisingly it did. This time you gave me a 50/50 chance of making this movement work and as I kept working the answer revealed itself. i had a slipping gear in the time chain (?) and once corrected had success in fixing this clock. Would post some pictues but would need to disassemble the working movement to make any sense of it all. Not only has this provided me great satisfaction but the clock owner is very greatful. I've been a hobbist for 25 years first working on pocket watches, wrist watches, then cuckoo clocks. Now mantel and grandfather clocks are comman place and I find it more gratefying everyday. Thanks all for your patience, advice and commradery. Larry

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Congratulations on your success, Larry! Early quartz clocks are a whole different dimension to horology and can present interesting challenges. At least this one appears to not have the all-too-common corrosion from having a battery left in it for years and years.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That's quite an accomplishment! Electronics are not my forte, although if I were younger I would certainly educate myself more on how boards work! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itjstwrx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller