Linden Mantel Clock 8016

TallisD

Sep 28, 2020
Country
I inherited a circa 1970 Linden Mantel Clock model 8016 that has not worked for 20 years. When I took it to a local repair shop they said that this was it has the Korean movement in it and is not repairable by design. it was built as one of the first throw away clocks. My grandpa heard the same thing about 20 years ago. Does anyone have insight on this clock and what makes it not serviceable? It is currently working but in need of maintenance. It's got a lot of sentimental value, so I'm needing help to figure out what I can do to help it. Thank you for your time and input.

If this is not the correct area for this thread, please let me know and I'll move it.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
why do you think people know what a linden 8016 looks like or what movement or motor it uses without seeing it? photos from all sides and movement, please. :)

we may end up moving this discussion to the electric horology forum, but let’s see who contributes and what they have offer.

you might also want to start thinking about installing a quartz movement, and having someone fit the current hands to it. a non-repairable korean movement from the 70s is not going to be the sentimental part of this clock.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

A number of manufacturers used the name 'Linden' so without seeing photos of the movement, it is very difficult to help you.

Please post clear photos of the movement and I am sure there will be those who can advise you.

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
There are people who are in this business and have strong opinions. The Linden name is synonymous with "cheap", meaning not of the highest quality, but that does not mean that they were intended to be thrown away. If yours is an electric clock, it might be more of a challenge to make whole again, but that does not mean it can't be repaired. I'd look around for another repairman who is willing to at least try for you.

Bkeepr

Jul 8, 2020
Maryland
Country
I don't see where you explicitly say that yours is an electric clock, although you mention a motor. I have a "Linden" clock from Germany given to my wife and I around that same time period, and has a German movement and is *not* a cheap clock. It has been serviced regularly during those 40+ years, and except when in the shop, has run constantly and well. It has had one mainspring replaced, and perhaps one bushing, so I know it is repairable. So please post some pictures, as I'm certain many folks here will be willing and able to help you.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
I inherited a circa 1970 Linden Mantel Clock model 8016 that has not worked for 20 years. When I took it to a local repair shop they said that this was it has the Korean movement in it and is not repairable by design. .................It is currently working but in need of maintenance.
I am a bit confused. You say that it has not worked for 20 years and that you took it to a repair shop where you were told that it could not be repaired, but then you say it is currently working?

I'm not familiar with the model 8016 but a clock made in 1970 with a Korean mechanical movement has reached the end of its life expectancy. That does not mean that the movement cannot be rebuilt to give it new life. We really do need to see pictures of the movement in this clock to be more specific. Generally Asian movements were used in many clocks during this period because they are "cheap" (both in cost and quality). Most can be repaired, however the cost to repair a 50 year old Korean clock movement will likely exceed the value of the clock several times over.

RC

TallisD

Sep 28, 2020
Country
I will upload more pictures later. I font have time at the moment to open out up. Yes, the clock stopped working about 20 years ago, and now it is working. As to the sentimental value, for me it is not the look of this clock as much as the sound. I love the ticking and chimes on the hour and half hour. If I do have to replace the movement it would be with something with a similar sound. The chime is a nice tone that isn't shrill or tinny.

28879.jpeg 20200929_170554.jpg 20200929_171012.jpg

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
Pretty much all of the Japanese movements are decent quality,I would say equal to the early 20th century American time and strikes with the most common being the repro Ansonia movements. I see no reason why this movement can't be overhauled.
Keep your heirloom running and take it or send it to someone that doesn't think he's @#*# too good or too @#*# lazy to work on Asian clocks!

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I too agree. I just rebuilt one with the Japanese movement a few months ago. It's been ticking away happily for 30 days at a time since.

Reactions: roughbarked

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
Some think that Korean or Japanese movements are not worth servicing.

I do not share that opinion. However, it is true that they are not of a great quality, but they are easy to service (apart from the long springs that can be difficult to control) and typically strong runners.

They are in my opinion viable clocks and deserve the same treatment as any other.

M.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think I'd look for another repairman. Yours doesn't seem to want to do his job ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nacht Kreatur
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre