Limit No.2 Pocket watch

gebhi

Feb 28, 2021
Country
Recently found my Grandfathers 15J Limit No.2 non magnetic pocket watch. Its in nice working condition however I do not know how to move the hands to correctly change the time. Both front bezel and back cover of its nickle plated case unscrews off. I believe this was used during his Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm days during WW2.

Does anyone know how to correctly change the time on this?

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Can you post a photo of the dial with the front bezel screwed off?

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
The time is set normally by pulling and running the crown. If it doesn't work, don't insist and go see a watchmaker because in this case there is certainly a problem with the time setting.
Limit Watch Co. / Hirst Bros. & Co.Ltd. uses Swiss movements G. Thommen/Revue and your caliber is a 30L.

Amicalement GG

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi gebhi, and welcome to the forum,

If your watch was an official military issue, there should be some numbers and letters stamped on the back.

Regards,

Graham

gebhi

Feb 28, 2021
Country
Thanks for your help. Prior to asking
I tried pulling the crown up but worried I may damage didn't move. This morning after reading comments firmly pulled the crown which worked.
I guess being packed away for decades was little stiff but now seems to keep good time as I'm keeping eye on it. Here is the rear with some pattern on but inside you can see numbers but no crows feet and no date. Are these numbers of watch itself?

Limit bk.jpg limit move.jpg Limit bk in.jpg

Reactions: viclip

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi gebhi,

Here is the rear with some pattern on but inside you can see numbers but no crows feet and no date. Are these numbers of watch itself?
Service issued watches usually have the information about their issuer, type and other details stamped on the outside of the back, often together with the pheon or broad arrow. This example includes the date of issue, 1953.

DSCF7600.JPG

The number inside the back is often the case number, and the scratched marks are the private codes of previous repairers.

Regards,

Graham

gebhi

Feb 28, 2021
Country
Thanks for info, most likely a private purchase. Interesting to see its been repaired couple of times during its life. Any idea as to its age as I understand the Company was formed in 1912, any idea of its age?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ridanovic
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff