Lightning Strikes Twice

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by gleber, Sep 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The coincidences here are definitely interesting...

A few months ago, this happened: Waltham Grandfather

But just like in that post, first the clock, then the story. This grandfather clock is a John Wanamaker, New York. It stands 8 ft 1-3/8 inches tall. The movement is marked B&D Monastery, for which there are a lot of posts on this board and which I have yet to sort through. From what I can tell B&D used other movements, so this is a John Wanamaker retailed clock, with a B&D (retailed or wholesaled) movement and I have yet to uncover the original maker of the movement. I'll let the photos complete the description.

primary.jpg 20190921_083149.jpg 20190921_074745.jpg 20190921_080124.jpg 20190921_083456.jpg 20190921_074335.jpg 20190921_080133.jpg 20190921_080308.jpg

It seems to be all original, including the key, and the only damage appears to be someone cut off the right side of the right claw foot (I presume to fit in a corner?). I'll post the movement photos in the next post, but now onto the story.

About a month ago I saw an ad in the For Free section on CL for a rather grand Grandfather Clock (as you can see above). I responded as soon as I saw it and received this response, "I have a lot of interested people. Would you like to make an offer?" I explained prices are all over the place and that they are dropping and that it was pretty far away from me, etc., etc., so I offered $50. I thought that would be the end of it if others were interested.

I was surprised when she responded, "If you want to pick it up for 50 that's fine." Score! It was in New Rochelle, NY which is about 140 miles from me and she wanted to get rid of it that weekend, but she couldn't help move it, so I scrambled to borrow a van, find someone willing to help for 5 or so hours, and make arrangements to pick it up.

About an hour before leaving to pick it up, I got this response, "Hi so sorry to waste your time but a family member has expressed interest in the clock so I'm going to give it to them. Thanks for the info about it." While I raged a little inside, I thought I would be civil and offered recommendations for her relative including that she should definitely seek advice here. End of story? (As you can tell from the photos above, no it wasn't...)

Earlier this week, I received this, "Hi so it turns out my aunt does not want the grandfather clock. Would you still be interested in buying it?" Of course I would! Once again, I scrambled to make the arrangements and this time the clock is now in my living room waiting for a thorough cleaning and check up and finding space (If I move this clock here, and that one there, I think I can squeeze it in right here - prefect! Anybody else been in that situation?).

So, the coincidences are pretty amazing to me.
    • Both clocks on CL about 140 miles from my home, but amazingly within 5 miles of each other.
    • Both high quality, 1920s era grandfather clocks.
    • Both sellers initially found other "buyers."
    • Both sellers came back to me after their original deals fell through.
    • Both clocks are now in my living room.
    Tom

PatH and Chris Radano like this.
  2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    congrats... way to work CL

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

Any chance for a picture of the movement?

Regards.

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ha, I though I posted this, but it was still in the draft window...

Here are some photos of the movement.

20190921_073342.jpg 20190921_073418.jpg 20190921_073844.jpg 20190921_073919.jpg 20190921_074300.jpg 20190921_074135.jpg

I presume the E plate can help with dating? I was hoping to find a map to buried treasure or something cool under the E plate, but just a smudge. The hooks seem odd - two on one chain closed, two on one chain open and an oddball hook on the third. The chime chain is a little shorter, so I think someone had messed with them.

I'm off to read the B&D posts, but if you have anything to offer based on what you see, please do. It does need a suspension spring, but the slot in the bridge is very narrow compared to my other grandfather clocks.

Tom

5. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

The B&D Monastery TM was registered in 1909, so your clock most likely dates after that date.

As you probably know, Wanamaker was a Philadelphia retailer. When they opened operations in NYC (I do not know) could also provide a clue as to the vintage of your clock.

The plate that you removed sometimes includes the TM of the movement maker, but does not on your clock.

B&D contracted with Baeuerle of Germany for many of their movements and I suspect your movement was made by Baeuerle.

Regards.

6. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I mis-spoke.

The area on the movement underneath the plate you removed sometimes includes the TM of the movement maker - not the plate.

Regards.

7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I was expecting to find something, but as you can see there is nothing there. Thanks for the info about B&D.

Tom

8. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Tom, what luck.I suggest you buy a couple of lottery tickets, LOL!
    Tim

9. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ha, I'd have to go for the second chance drawing.

Yeah, but getting to buy the clock the first time around would be a whole lot less stress.

Tom

10. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Update... Cleaning the dial. I couldn't get all of the stains off the chapter ring completely, but one of these days I'll read more about resilvering and give it a try on this one. In the meantime here is the before and after:

20190921_074745.jpg 20190929_135244.jpg

PatH and Jim DuBois like this.
  11. Russell Dickson

Russell Dickson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful work, I have always be torn about whether I should clean up old bronze dials or leave the tarnish?

12. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. This one had some stains and dirty spots. That was the tipping point for me. If it had an even patina, I probably would have left It as-is. I try to look at the whole clock and treat it equally to keep it from looking odd or unmatched, but I'm not ready to tackle refinishing the case on this one yet. I'll have to see how it looks when I get the movement assembled and reinstalled. I have a Colonial 5 tube from the same era in the garage and refinishing the case is going very slowly.

Tom

13. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Somewhat belated but did not see this thread until now. Movement 'E' was among the chain driven offerings in Bawo & Dotter's Monastery line of movements. As noted in other threads, the movements were made by Mathias Bäuerle in Germany for B&D. I do not believe, and have nothing to suggest, these particular movements were ever used by other clients. The chain drive movements came with gong rods (as your clock has) or tubular bells. The gong rods were meant to give a sound reminiscent of distant church bells and are a fine alternative to tubular bells.

14. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the additional information. The chimes are very mellow. In fact so "mellow" I thought they were quite muted... until I heard them against another clock I've had running for a while, and it turns out they are actually louder. I guess it has to do with the envelope Envelope (music) - Wikipedia. The chimes I was used to hearing (an Emperor GF) seem to ramp up quicker and have more of a sharp rap at the onset, as well as a higher pitch. I 'll have to post a video. I suspect is also has to do with the leather vs plastic hammer tips in addition to the gong base.

Ha, Look at me - trying to explain this to none other than Chimeclockfan. I'm way out of my league.

Tom

chimeclockfan likes this.