Lever set fix

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by BCMC, Feb 9, 2019 at 9:43 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BCMC

BCMC Registered User

Dec 27, 2014
    Retired LAPD
    Eagle Idaho
    Country Flag:
    Working on a nice 18s Seth Thomas. The lever set raised area that your hook your finger nail onto to extract is gone., Has anyone tried to apply heat and hammer another 90 degree ridge? Thanks T

2. Ticktinker

Ticktinker Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Male
    Construction Inspector
    Houston Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Ticktinker, Feb 9, 2019 at 10:23 PM
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019 at 10:43 PM
    Might have better luck Finding a replacement or making the entire part from metal strap material.
    Also to consider, is if you create a new arm on the existing part by simply bending up more material,
    you may be putting the watch into setting mode by simply having the lever out past the edge of the dial where it would be when you finish and case the movement.
    Also comes to mind is soldering on a piece to create the bend,,, may be a venture that would work.
    A butane torch, borax for flux, ( I use 20 mule team) a hold closed tweezer to hold the part, some jewelers silver solder, (available in watch repair supply sites online) lay the work on the anvil on a bench vise and you are set to go.
    There are experts in metallurgy here that can help you normalize the part after welding.
    In fact if you have other levers laying around you could cut a piece in the middle of the arm and make an easier repair on a flat part, and file and hone it out smooth....
    Good luck and happy hobbying!

3. Richard Hufnagel

Richard Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a model two transitional bw Raymond that someone mangled the lever to get it to work in a case with a normal lever slot .(this lever was straight and moved side to side instead of pulling out). I tried to undo the bend, and with very little force snapped the lever. So... I have never tried that again. Just figured I'd share my bad experience in hopes that you won't have the same.

4. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Rick, sounds like your watch has the Abbots Stem wind conversion. The levers move back and forth.

Can you show us a pic of under the dial. This will let us know for sure.

Tom

5. Richard Hufnagel

NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom! No it's not Abbot's, these were made this way. It's an early model 2. Here's the underdial view from a different movement that has also been bent to accommodate a normal lever slot. This one is a few hundred away in serial number. Same grade . 70 b.w. Raymond. My grade 8 md Ogden transitional has the same setup as well. I don't have an Abbot's but I'd certainly like to find a nice example one of these days!

IMG_20190211_194723764.jpg

6. Richard Hufnagel

NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's one bwr cased. Notice the slot for the lever is straight. Which means you either have to buy an original cased one, or modify a lever slot to case one, which is a pain because I like these! I'm assuming that's why these levers are bent up so often! It's easier then filing a case.

IMG_20190211_201629732.jpg

7. Richard Hufnagel

NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just because I already posted the early style. Here's a model 2 example of the later style that pulled out instead of switching side to side.

IMG_20190211_210814245.jpg

8. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Retired-bad back but still movin'.
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Here's the labor of someone who cared-lot's of scars but still a beautiful carry-

SAM_8449-001.JPG SAM_8450-001.JPG SAM_8451-001.JPG

viclip and Richard Hufnagel like this.