lever escapement clock

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
OK folks, This dude is driving me crazy.
I have a back mount Lever Escapment, count wheel movement that is driving me crazy (a short trip I admit!). I have dismantled, cleaned, bushed (one hole) and polished pivots.
There is something in the escapement I am missing. It has good power to the escape wheel and the strike side does fine. I have put the balance wheel in beat..(it is in line with lever pivot and esc wheel pivot when at rest with no power). This thing just will not run reliably. sometimes 5 min. sometimes 4 hours.

What am I not doing right and need to look for.

Thanks to all 126.gif

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
OK folks, This dude is driving me crazy.
I have a back mount Lever Escapment, count wheel movement that is driving me crazy (a short trip I admit!). I have dismantled, cleaned, bushed (one hole) and polished pivots.
There is something in the escapement I am missing. It has good power to the escape wheel and the strike side does fine. I have put the balance wheel in beat..(it is in line with lever pivot and esc wheel pivot when at rest with no power). This thing just will not run reliably. sometimes 5 min. sometimes 4 hours.

What am I not doing right and need to look for.

Thanks to all 126.gif

Robert M.

Nov 20, 2004
Don,I know pictures can be deceiving but it looks like your pallet fork isn't centered on your hairspring roller pin.It kind of looks like its favoring one side.My thing is Hermle Platform Balances and on them you rotate the hairspring collet until the pin is centered in the pallet fork.I'm sure there must be provisions on your movement to do the same thing.Why don't you take a look and see if yours is similar to a Hermle.Just a thought.
Best of luck with your problem.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
From what I can see I am guessing that it is a pin pallet. The pin pallet tends to be very forgiving as far as adjustment goes. To start I'd check that the fork is centered as noted by RobertM above. Then check that the balance moves freely and it's pivots are in good condition. Check that your roller is not loose, which could cause problems like those you describe. Then check that the corners on your escape wheel are in good condition and well defined (not rounded). Last check that the pallets land on the locking face of the escape wheel tooh (not the impulse face) for every tooth on the escape wheel. If the apllets need to be adjusted they can be, but the pin pallet is very forgiving (therefor lend itself well to mass production) and it isn't as likely as some of the other conditions that may cause similar problems. If you do find that they need adjusted you may want to research the action of the escapement first. I think the NAWCC gift shop carries such a book, as well as some of the material houses and probably the NAWCC library. When adjusting pallets, remember that when you move a pallet, you are actually adjusting the opposite side.

tymfxr

NAWCC Member
May 13, 2005
Country
Region
BIGD, might be too late for this but have you made sure 100% absolutely that you are getting enough power to the scape wheel? Each time it stopped did you check to see if the scape wheel would kick back when you tried to move it in the opposite direction? For me, the last thing I want to do is start doing things to a lever scapement. You said you bushed one hole, are you sure the other bushings are smooth? Mike C.

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
Hello all,
Thanks for all the input.
Bob, you are right it was favoring in the picture. But it had power on it and had stopped to one side. I had adjusted the collett as you suggest to get it all in line and "in beat".

Smudgy, You hit the nail on the head. I adjusted the pins a bit with great care and after much observation and deliberation. It has been running now for over 24 hrs. I am like tymfxr and was leary of adjusting the pins on the escapement.

tymfxr, yes the other holes are smooth. I used a smoothing broach on all of them after cleaning and rebushing. And yes it did snap back at the escape wheel after stopping.

Thanks to all who replied and I will post again to confirm the fix.

RL

Mar 28, 2004
Country
Don,
Glad you got your fix and thanks for the follow up as we could use more follow ups on all forums.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
standardtwin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool