Letting go of treasures

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Tom McIntyre, Sep 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The first sale of a portion of my collection took place last night on Jones & Horan's bi-weekly on-line auction.

I was sad to see them go but am happy they found new homes.

There were a total of 6 lots with one lot containing 3 watches. That one was probably the best bargain since it contained a fairly scarce Waltham gilt over nickel Appleton Tracy grade 1883 model in open face with lever setting. The lot also contained a nice 21 Jewel Sangamo that the seller had told me kept remarkably good time (but the purchase was quite a while ago,) There was also a common gilt 1883 AT&Co. in the lot.

As many of you know, most of my collections both past and present are on my web site at AWCo Web.

That site is built around the concept of Artifacts and Collections where Collections contain many artifacts and Artifacts can be members of many collections. The site is under continuous development but is open to the public. The collections contain watches (and clocks) of particular types or from various makers or countries.

The collections include watches that have been sold as well as watches currently in my collection. The sold collection contains all the watches that have been sold in private sales over the years and there are also collections for those sold at auction.

The collection concept is still under development and I am working on ways to manage filtering the collection displays so that ladies watches from Waltham could be shown by selecting Waltham watches and filtering that collection for those that were also in the collection of ladies watches. That is not yet working correctly but should be pretty soon.

In that mindset, I am looking at collection types that are based on attributes such as size, case material and market. Those categories are shown on the site, but are not yet active. The list will probably be expanded to include country or region of origin as well.

The sale on the 26th is also a collection and you can examine the watches at AWCo Web.

Diana Kelly-Levesque likes this.