Letting down a spring when there is a stop device...

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Hello everybody,
I took this 1900 spring-driven BF cuckoo movement out of its case for the first time yesterday. When I was about to let down the springs to rend them harmless, I noticed that the going barrel (and only it) had a stop device to prevent over-winding.
I don't feel at home with spring-driven movements, but I've let down successfully a few barrels, even a pair of fussee ones. My question is, should I take any extra measure to let that going spring down or just proceed the usual way?
Many thanks in advance,

Aitor

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Aitor, if you let down the spring from the outside, you can then take the movement apart. To service the spring, you will have to let down the spring the rest of the way with the barrel out of the movement (and count how many turns it's preloaded with). You will need a mainspring winder to work on the springs.

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Many thanks, Harold! :cool:
Unfortunately, I don't have any mainspring winder available :( Icould buy one, of course, but I don't handle spring-drive clocks usually.
Is there any B plan without using a winder?

Aitor

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
The only alternative is to have strong and agile fingers to do it by hand, if there isn't any local repairmen to help you with it.

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Thanks, David.
Perhaps I should start thinking about that...
Could you, please, give me a link to have a look at it?
Many thanks,

Aitor

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
That's a pretty slick winder. He says that it doesn't marr the barrel surface but if you look at his barrel you can see where it has spun in the clamp. A piece of automotive radiator hose wrapped around the barrel before clamping will stop this. I do this when I clamp barrels in my lathe/spring winder. I've got some scrap 1/2 Al. that now has a purpose,I'll be making one of these. COOL TOOL!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I use my hand (with a glove, usually) to hold the barrel. No marring (to the barrel, at least) that way :)

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Many thanks folks! :)

I see that the winder is not a simple or small device... I don't feel as handy as to make one. At least without blueprints... BTW, is the 'main' crank unit with the chuck also homemade?
Jay,
I was also amazed by the guy repeating the the clamp wouldn't mark the barrel when there was a BIG steel screw protruding from the middle of the clamp and clearly intended for holding the barrel fast...

Aitor

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
I think the "clamp" that he is using is really an electrical ground clamp that goes around metal conduit. The middle center screw is intended to clamp the ground wire. I don't think he uses that center screw in his design. The one thing that I was wondering is how he controls the center distance when he uses barrels of different diameters. I still think that the Joe Collin's winder is a better design. It uses wood to clamp the barrel..no marring and it handles various size barrels and keeps the barrel center on center with the winding chuck.
David

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
I hve just found the thread, David, it is here and it looks much better than the one in youtube. I must have a detailed look at that thread. Many thanks! :)

Aitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravens Watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller