• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Let's See Your Sangamo Specials

Jh10361

Feb 11, 2017
Country
AFAIK, not without the original box.
I ran across a small list the other day but am unable to location it now, mine wasn't listed and it was sporadic anyway just curious if sales records were kept. Thanks for the response

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I guess I need to find a 19j Sangamo.

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

noelekal

Jun 7, 2021
Country
I just wanted to participate in a topic thread and, as I admire the Sangamo Specials, this thread is chosen for a first post. I've been lurking here on the Forum and "liking" what I see. I'm a raw neophyte pocket watch aficionado so am mostly here to learn. It's a marvelous site for gleaning information. I've acquired some watches through Ebay, antique shops, and gun shows (mostly Ebay). It's a mine field out there and I'm sure I've gathered in some duds to be found among my menagerie, but will sort them out.

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

CattleDog

New User
Dec 11, 2022
Country
Sangamo Special factory cases came into use with the change from model 9 to model 10 production, and then continued on with model 13 production and until the end. The first serial number for a model 10 was 3178901. There is only one model 9 run past this serial number, a 21 jewel run at serials 3251001-3251400. So besides these 400 watches in this run I would say a Sangamo Special case would be expected for any Sangamo Specials at 3.178 million and above, and would not be expected for any watch under 3.178 million serial number.

[snip]

Fred
Hello all. I am new here and new to pocket watch collecting, but have been researching quite a bit for the last several months.

I recently made my first buy, and its a 1919 Sangamo Special model 10.

I was wondering if the above quote about ALL model 10’s being factory cased is completely accurate. Mine is in a Philadelphia Watch Case Co. Sure it could be recased, but why would you buy a gold filled case to put your watch in when it comes with a GF case from the factory? It appears the watch has been in this case for a long time. The case is well worn, no additional case screw marks, and both the movement and case are fairly dirty.

What I am thinking, and I know I am still learning, is that according to PW DB the first year Model 10’s (ca 1919) were still 16 size and only 1000 were made. Is it possible, if not likely, that Illinois created (commissioned?) there factory case only for 17 size? Would they bother to make them for 16 size for a single year and single run of 1000?

Look forward to learning more.

Chad

(In the spirit of the thread, I’ll edit in some pictures tomorrow)

Reactions: noelekal

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Chad,

Welcome to the NAWCC Forum!!

Rob

terry hall

NAWCC Silver Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
one point on the model 10 S.S.
The factory case feature was to take advantage of the one feature of the model 10 movement,
the Model 10 movement is about .5mm thinner than the model 9 and later movements....

the Special case is sized to take advantage of this feature.

One can tell with a 'stare and compare' of the factory cased examples and others.
The edge of the movement barely reaches the inner ledge of a 'standard' case, and usually the case screws will not reach their machined recesses in the movement, and conversely if you case a model 9 in one of the wadsworth patent cases, the edge of the movement will extend past the case mounting ledge in the center ring.

so...
I was wondering if the above quote about ALL model 10’s being factory cased is completely accurate.
i believe it is so....
The Sangamo Special - Beginning to END

CattleDog

New User
Dec 11, 2022
Country
Thank you, I appreciate your response. I’ve read that link many times!

So is it your belief there is both 16s and 17s model 10 factory cases? Or am I misunderstanding something.

terry hall

NAWCC Silver Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Refer again to post 63, then study closely the images in post 64 and 66 ..... those images help explain post 63 better n words.
:thumb:

Reactions: Rodney Leon

CattleDog

New User
Dec 11, 2022
Country
I do see what you are saying.

So, there is a 16s SS model 10 factory case. Good luck to me ever finding one! There is a very nice 17s on ebay right now if anyone needs one. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent