• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Let's hear YOUR current-production battery-operated wall, table or mantel clock with church-bell sound.

HorologyBuff

Nov 7, 2021
Country
There doesn't seem to be a clock review website that posts all the new-model clocks on the market with audio samples of their melodies. To me, it's all about finding a home clock with as near a church or clock tower bell sound as possible. I don't have the space or money for a grandfather clock and even some of those don't sound too hot. Some new battery clocks have an electronic beep melody that sounds phony. Some sound closer to an actual tower bell. Many newer clocks even with mechanical chimes don't sound that good to my ears. Many chimes are too high pitched. One perhaps has to be a musicologist to appreciate a good SOUNDING clock. Some newer clocks have a melody that sounds more akin to the middle or tenor register of a piano than a set of tuned tenor (low range) bells. I want to hear the "sound of church bells", not the sound of a piano, music box, spinning bicycle spokes hitting a playing card or the backup beeper of a Caterpillar tractor when the clock strikes midnight.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Just a tic-toc is all I want personally. I've heard some nice gongs, but I wouldn't want it in my home, JMO.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Just a tic-toc is all I want personally. I've heard some nice gongs, but I wouldn't want it in my home, JMO.

Cheezhead

Dec 30, 2010
Wisconsin
Country
Region
This clock is not current production but it's something, not nothing to post and might lead to a source for what you want. I did see a couple of Loricron quartz mantle chime clocks, one was new, on ebay. Ask each vendor if there is a way for you to hear the clock before you buy.
This is a medium size quartz anniversary clock branded Loricron picked up at a Goodwill for a few dollars. I did not know that it would have a bell-like chime. The video does the sound louder than it actually is due to close camera proximity. Actually I can barely hear the chime from an adjacent room even with the volume control at max. If I pretend that the chime sound is from a distant outdoor clock it sounds real enough.

Loricron - YouTube

Roy Gardner

Ticker Stopper
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2016
Cameron Park, California
Country
Region
I wouldn't be unhappy with an electronic clock that played in hi-fi the chime & strike from the 1955 album "Christmas Bells." The segment was performed on a symphonic carillon by Paul Mickelson. It's a Westminster chime for 18 seconds, a deep strike of 7 for 16 seconds, the song "O Come All Ye Faithful" for 75 seconds, then a deep strike of 7 for 11 seconds that fades away. The segment begins at 30:36 into the album on YouTube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3号缐
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller