"Lets Get Started"

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Mike Dempsey, Dec 8, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike Dempsey

Mike Dempsey Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jul 8, 2006
    Elm Grove
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been asked to try something totally different on this forum. I will be posting weekly and by-weekly step by step instructions on how to build this clock. I will be using video (u tube) and other types of presentation formats to aid in the construction of this clock. As we work on this together, I will be looking for input from all to share with the rest of the group. I have broken the book down into 9 different areas but this could change as we proceed.
    So, order your brass material, (see other post) contact the NAWCC to get your drawings, find the necessary tools, and the desire to succeed. I have talked my 8 year old nephew into building this project so we will be working with all of you.
    I have to teach a FSW class in early January so we will be starting this in mid January. You will have plenty of time to get your material together. I have a power point presentation put together that I will be posting very soon. It has some additional instructions for the clock.
    Mike Dempsey

2. Mike Dempsey

Jul 8, 2006
    Elm Grove
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have the first lesson done for all of you to review before we start on this project. It is a power point presentation put together by Fred Tischler of the Education Committee. I have put it up on my web site. Let me know if you have any questions. The link is:
    http://www.clocksandthings.net/Lessons/

3. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    Two questions:
    1. Would it be possible, since the plates are held at the original distance apart, for someone without a lathe to use original Hermle pillars?
    2. What about the problem of the plated Hermle pivots? In many, if not most, surplus Hermle movements, the reason they've been removed from service is that the pivots are worn and the plating is coming off. Any hints?

4. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:

This is realy nice.I have found this to be very interesting.

5. Mike Dempsey

Jul 8, 2006
    Elm Grove
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill,
    Yes, you could use the posts off the Hermle movement. The problem is that the two bottom posts are 1/2" in diameter so the movement can be mounted to the base. If you want to use the posts you will have to come up with someway to mount the clock to the base. I know that in the instructions I list Clockbug as a place to buy the cutting block. I have talked to him and he will be offering shortly a set of posts for sale for members who don't have a lathe.

As far as plated pivots, you have to treat it like any clock repair. If the pivots are unusable, they need to be replaced. Out of all the these clocks that I have been involved with, only one has had to have a pivot replaced.

Mike Dempsey