ATO Leroy Chronostat III

Glochief

Mar 1, 2015
Country
Hello,

I have been asked to assist testing a Leroy Chronostat III. Unfortunately there is no documentation available. The clock has a three pin male amphenol connector (Military Style) on the side of its wooden case and what appears to be a battery compartment with two leads, one red and one black with annular lugs.

Does anyone have any information on the power supply requirements and connector pin polarity and or function?

Any information would be much appreciated on powering, operating and starting this fine instrument would be appreciated. I am approaching this problem on the principle of "at least do no harm".

Regards

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
I have no idea what you have.
Some pictures would be interesting.
It sounds like more connectors than I
thought it would have.
Tinker Dwight

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
The subject (Leroy Chronostat III) by definition, would likely be a cycle timer for a heating or cooling appliance offered by Leroy.

Apparently the Leroy company although an international marketer, does not distribute their products in the US, thus the item is not familiar to us.

Glochief

Mar 1, 2015
Country
Thanks Tinker Dwight and eskmill,

Attached photos of French (marine) chronometer as requested. Leroy1post.jpg Leroy2post.jpg

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Those do look like the battery wires on top.
We could figure the other wires if you carefully lifted
the movement to see where they go. I expect it may
have been used as a master clock as well. The other
wire are most likely for contacts.
Tinker Dwight

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Glochief's "Chronostat" is a replacement produced by L. Leroy et Cie of Paris for the traditional ship's chronometer.

A partial of the text from the found reference:
"In 1957, the invention of the "Chronostat" revolutionized the world of marine chronometry and enabled the company to conserve its dominant position in scientific and military high precision. It was Master of Time on the largest French aircraft carriers such as the "Foch" and the "Clemenceau". During the 1980s, however, Leroy time bases were progressively replaced by atomic clocks, the only devices capable of surpassing those legendary instruments.

Thus the item is a 1950's state of the art Ship's Chronometer.

It would be interesting to investigate from the serial number of the instrument.

Obviously of post WWII design the item likely has as Tinker suggests an internal battery of unknown type or voltage output and an external connection to other devices via the socket.

It is or was once and interesting and precision clock and was expensive when new.

Please glochief, what's the serial number. Tell us how you happen to have the L.Leroy Chronostat.

Last edited:
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreenHill
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool