ATO Leroy Chronostat III

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Glochief, Mar 1, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Glochief

Glochief New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

I have been asked to assist testing a Leroy Chronostat III. Unfortunately there is no documentation available. The clock has a three pin male amphenol connector (Military Style) on the side of its wooden case and what appears to be a battery compartment with two leads, one red and one black with annular lugs.

Does anyone have any information on the power supply requirements and connector pin polarity and or function?

Any information would be much appreciated on powering, operating and starting this fine instrument would be appreciated. I am approaching this problem on the principle of "at least do no harm".

Regards

2. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    I have no idea what you have.
    Some pictures would be interesting.
    It sounds like more connectors than I
    thought it would have.
    Tinker Dwight

3. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    The subject (Leroy Chronostat III) by definition, would likely be a cycle timer for a heating or cooling appliance offered by Leroy.

Apparently the Leroy company although an international marketer, does not distribute their products in the US, thus the item is not familiar to us.

4. Glochief

Glochief New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Tinker Dwight and eskmill,

Attached photos of French (marine) chronometer as requested. Leroy1post.jpg Leroy2post.jpg

5. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Those do look like the battery wires on top.
    We could figure the other wires if you carefully lifted
    the movement to see where they go. I expect it may
    have been used as a master clock as well. The other
    wire are most likely for contacts.
    Tinker Dwight

6. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    #6 eskmill, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Glochief's "Chronostat" is a replacement produced by L. Leroy et Cie of Paris for the traditional ship's chronometer.

A partial of the text from the found reference:
    "In 1957, the invention of the "Chronostat" revolutionized the world of marine chronometry and enabled the company to conserve its dominant position in scientific and military high precision. It was Master of Time on the largest French aircraft carriers such as the "Foch" and the "Clemenceau". During the 1980s, however, Leroy time bases were progressively replaced by atomic clocks, the only devices capable of surpassing those legendary instruments.

Thus the item is a 1950's state of the art Ship's Chronometer.

It would be interesting to investigate from the serial number of the instrument.

Obviously of post WWII design the item likely has as Tinker suggests an internal battery of unknown type or voltage output and an external connection to other devices via the socket.

It is or was once and interesting and precision clock and was expensive when new.

Please glochief, what's the serial number. Tell us how you happen to have the L.Leroy Chronostat.