Leonidas stopwatch/pocket watch

Polly Curtiss

Aug 24, 2012
Hello,

Can anyone tell me more about this Leonidas stop/pocket watch? It looks like the movement has more than 7 jewels and the only marking is 8185. I see many stop watches by Leonidas but not the combo stop/pocket. Dial is enamel, case chrome plated.

Attachments

Lee Arent

Apr 12, 2021
Country
Hello,

Can anyone tell me more about this Leonidas stop/pocket watch? It looks like the movement has more than 7 jewels and the only marking is 8185. I see many stop watches by Leonidas but not the combo stop/pocket. Dial is enamel, case chrome plated.
I have the exact same pocket watch as shown in your pictures. The only marking on the face is the manufactures name LEONIDAS. The word SWISS or SWISS MADE is absent. The case is chrome plated and scratched on the rear exposing the base metal. I believe the US passed a law in 1871 that stated the country of the movements origin must be visible. Since there is no country noted I can only assess the watch may have been manufactured for sale outside the US. I do not think it would be manufactured before 1871.

There are a number of inner markings on the watch. When the outer case is opened there are three markings. The first is near the outer edge and the marking in so small I only found it with a magnifying glass. It looks like it reads 242996Rp. The number almost does not look like it was stamped but I cannot comprehend the skill it would have taken to hand write these digits so small and so straight and uniform.

The second two numbers on the outer cast are a little larger, not as uniform, can be seen with the naked eye, needs a magnifying glass to read them and appear to be watch repair markings. Each ends with a digit that looks like the symbol for "pie" except there is a horizontal line above and below the two vertical lines. These two numbers appear to be 32842pie and 707567pie.

Opening up the inner case lid reveals a the number 275083 stamped into the inner case and the number 7346 on the movement itself. The only other markings it the initials on the advance/retard adjustment. I am not a watch expert and know nothing about jewel count or the inner working to further describe the watch.

I have the same questions as posted originally posted eight years ago. What is the age and history of this watch. I am 73 years old and know the watch came from my uncle who traveled to Europe, including Switzerland, on business in the '60s.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
It is a a much better than a usual stop watch and very good chronograph pocket watch. I think the jewel count is higher than 17 based on the jeweling of the chronograph parts. It is a very fine watch

Reactions: MrRoundel

Lee Arent

Apr 12, 2021
Country
It is a a much better than a usual stop watch and very good chronograph pocket watch. I think the jewel count is higher than 17 based on the jeweling of the chronograph parts. It is a very fine watch
Thank you both for your quick reply. I was thinking about giving the watch to my 12 year old grandson but now I’m not sure he is ready for it! I am not a collector but love them. All my pocket watches are from passed family. In addition to the above is a American Waltham 14k, a “plain” Hamilton railroad, and smaller ladies Elgin pocket watch made to be attached to a chain. All on display in curio cabinet for many years. I cannot unscrew the back of the Hamilton and have not tried the Elgin to see the insides of either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluemax
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre