Leon Hatot "halfsecond" ATO clock.

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by tarant, Sep 17, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    New acquisition. Runs properly on 1,2 V rechargeable long life Eneloop battery. 1,5 V dry cell battery was the cause of too big pendulum swings, with hitting of the coil. The dial may be replacement (unusual ATO lettering version).

2014-09-17-748.jpg 2014-09-17-751.jpg 2014-09-17-753.jpg

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Good photos of a historic ATO battery timepiece. It is odd and unusual to have an ATO clock swing the pendulum too much.

The brass ring damper should prevent excessive pendulum motion. The brass ring, a short-circuited one-turn electromagnet should, in theory generate a small current in the ring that creates an opposing magnetic field to repel the right end of the magnetic pendulum rod. The ring is "self-exciting."

If, Piotr, the single dry cell was located behind the pendulum and if the cell had a steel jacket, the steel may have disturbed the magnetic field of the pendulum motion but I cannot understand how that would cause excessive pendulum motion.

My Junghans-ATO master clock (in the photo below) has a similar pendulum and operates from the 1.5 volts of a single Alkaline dry cell. It too has a damper coil on the right but on mine, the damper ring is decorative.

Attached Files:

3. Hans Vrolijk

Hans Vrolijk Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2005
    retired family doctor
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IMG_5744_bewerkt-1.jpg
    I do'nt think the dial is a replacement. See picture