• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Leon Hatot "halfsecond" ATO clock.

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region
New acquisition. Runs properly on 1,2 V rechargeable long life Eneloop battery. 1,5 V dry cell battery was the cause of too big pendulum swings, with hitting of the coil. The dial may be replacement (unusual ATO lettering version).

2014-09-17-748.jpg 2014-09-17-751.jpg 2014-09-17-753.jpg

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Good photos of a historic ATO battery timepiece. It is odd and unusual to have an ATO clock swing the pendulum too much.

The brass ring damper should prevent excessive pendulum motion. The brass ring, a short-circuited one-turn electromagnet should, in theory generate a small current in the ring that creates an opposing magnetic field to repel the right end of the magnetic pendulum rod. The ring is "self-exciting."

If, Piotr, the single dry cell was located behind the pendulum and if the cell had a steel jacket, the steel may have disturbed the magnetic field of the pendulum motion but I cannot understand how that would cause excessive pendulum motion.

My Junghans-ATO master clock (in the photo below) has a similar pendulum and operates from the 1.5 volts of a single Alkaline dry cell. It too has a damper coil on the right but on mine, the damper ring is decorative.

Attachments

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMW24
Encyclopedia Pages