• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Lenzkirch Model 348

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country
1630761868052.jpeg

This clock shown above has part of the lower movement back plate cut off probably done to remove the identity of the maker. We now know the clock was made by Lenzkirch since a picture of an almost identical clock was listed in the Lenzkirch catalogue as model 348 as shown below.

1630761900103.jpeg

This clock has exposed escapement though this feature was not found in the model shown in the catalogue. The escapement assembly was exquisitely produced with many of the exposed metal parts gold plated and the anchor pallets were made of rubies.

1630761947851.jpeg

The serial number located on the dial plate shows 225375 which points to 1875 as the year the clock was produced based on published data shown below. It was most likely the logo that was removed from the back plate was the first Lenzkirch Trademark logo.

1630762015647.jpeg

Mun C W

LenzkirchFan

Aug 31, 2002
Missouri
Country
Region
Hello Mun CW,

I agree with you 100% that you have a Lenzkirch model 348 with an original Lenzkirch movement. I'm attaching a couple photos of a Lenzkirch open escapement 2 weight regulator with serial number 262848 to compare to yours. This one was made after they went to the 2nd logo and for a short period, they were placing the logo on the upper left side of the back plate. I see one slight modification to your movement. The lower part of the crutch, the part with the stem that engages the pendulum, has been replaced with a non-Lenzkirch part. It appears to be just that part that is screwed onto the bottom of the crutch. (not a big deal that this was done).
You have an awesome Lenzkirch!
Steve

262848.jpg 262848 mvmt.jpg

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country
Hello Steve,

Thank you for your comment.
I do not own this clock and also two other Lenzkirch that I had pictures posted earlier on this website. They belong to my friend Mr Albert Boh who has a small collection of rare and beautiful Lenzkirch. He had suggested I photograph them and post pictures onto this website to share with other Lenzkirch collectors.
He has recently acquired another beautiful open escapement single weight Lenzkirch. It is quite an early piece with serial number 173245 made in 1873 probably a few months before the first Lenzkirch trademark logo was introduced. I will later get some pictures of this lovely clock and have them posted on this website.

Mun C W

Reactions: PatH

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Please thank your friend for his willingness to share his beautiful clocks with us, and thanks to you for photographing and posting!

LenzkirchFan

Aug 31, 2002
Missouri
Country
Region
Hello Steve,

Thank you for your comment.
I do not own this clock and also two other Lenzkirch that I had pictures posted earlier on this website. They belong to my friend Mr Albert Boh who has a small collection of rare and beautiful Lenzkirch. He had suggested I photograph them and post pictures onto this website to share with other Lenzkirch collectors.
He has recently acquired another beautiful open escapement single weight Lenzkirch. It is quite an early piece with serial number 173245 made in 1873 probably a few months before the first Lenzkirch trademark logo was introduced. I will later get some pictures of this lovely clock and have them posted on this website.

Mun C W
There is a thread, "Post your Lenzkirch clocks here" that you might want to use in future postings. Great clocks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john33g
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-