Lenzkirch countwheel question.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Hudson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am pondering upon an observation of a Lenzkirch spring driven wall clock. According to serial number 529868 it dates around 1880. It has a count wheel like the one in the attached picture (not my clock).

When the clock is in striking mode the drop lever (hope this is the right term) raises out of the slot and then slides(rides) on the rim of the count wheel until it gets to the next slot in the count wheel, drops into that slot, then stops the striking. There doesn't seem to be any cams or levers that are designed to hold it above the rim of the count wheel as it rotates. Is this normal?

My previous experience with count wheel mechanisms has been with American clocks. On those the drop lever, during striking, is raised above the count wheel and dropped with each strike, finally dropping into the next slot in the count wheel. No sliding.

This Lenzkirch clock runs well, keeps time, and strikes. I wonder if there is something that is supposed to keep the drop arm above the count wheel while the count wheel rotates? Just curious. Don't want to fix something that is NOT broke! 313775.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe that's normal for that style.

3. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. I thought it looked OK, but have had no experience with this type movement.