Lenzkirch clock inquiry

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
Greetings,
I found this clock in an antique store and have a couple questions about it that will help me decide on whether I should purchase? It has the markings of Lenzkirch but I am not sure of what year it was made or any interesting history about it that someone would know? I have seen many of the brass and wood Lenzkirch clock mostly wall and some mantel but I haven't seen many that look like this, however. The pendulum swung and it tick tocked and seemed in beat. When I moved the hands to the hours it chimed correctly. I have not brought a key and tried to wind it to make sure the springs were good, but I just love the face LOL! Above the trademark are some scratched in numbers if that helps. Thank you very much for any information you have such as if it is a desirable clock style. Thank you!

IMG_20210510_121033512.jpg IMG_20210510_120938534.jpg IMG_20210510_120908289.jpg IMG_20210510_120925245.jpg IMG_20210510_120945441_3.jpg IMG_20210510_121039180.jpg

Reactions: Salsagev

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
IMHO, Lenzkirch is one of the best German clock makers of the factory produced clocks.

We have folks who have compiled a database of Lenzkirch serial numbers and manufacturing dates. Unfortunately your pictures do not show the serial number. It is most likely on the movement obscured by the bell. (The numbers scratched on to the movement have meaning only to the person who scratched them. :) )

My guess would be 1895 to1900.

Regards.

Last edited:

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
That Lenzkirch does not chime. It strikes (the hours).

The clock is in the French style. Like any other clock, some collectors love that style and some do not.

Regards.
Yes I should have known that it strikes and not chimes. I've collected for many years but never had this style or a Lenzkirch clock. Thank you for your time.

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
I think the style of the numbers on the dial dates this to around 1900/1910. A bit of an acquired taste I’d say but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
I think the style of the numbers on the dial dates this to around 1900/1910. A bit of an acquired taste I’d say but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
It's nice to have a well rounded collection - I have JJ Elliott W&H mantel, American and french crystal regulator clocks Revere 1929 large clock and others so I know this lenzkirch is a acquired taste. But it has some charm. And then I'll have a Lenzkirch Clock of a style I don't have. Thanks for your input !

Reactions: PatH and Salsagev

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
It's nice to have a well rounded collection - I have JJ Elliott W&H mantel, American and french crystal regulator clocks Revere 1929 large clock and others so I know this lenzkirch is a acquired taste. But it has some charm. And then I'll have a Lenzkirch Clock of a style I don't have. Thanks for your input !
I agree! I didn’t mean to be rude. I have a French black marble clock with over the top gilded ornamentation which is very much an acquired taste! What I meant was, don’t pay too much for it.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Very ornate and a good example that Lenzkirch made clocks in the French style and as has been said they were a top class maker.

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
I agree! I didn’t mean to be rude. I have a French black marble clock with over the top gilded ornamentation which is very much an acquired taste! What I meant was, don’t pay too much for it.
Thank you ,if he won't come down on price
Your right, I will not pay too much for the clock, I know we can't talk about price on the post but we should be able to kick around common sense price points. But I've worked behind the counter of my Norwegian Grandfather's clock shop in Minnesota From 10th grade - 12th grade so I know enough to get in trouble. ( Late 60s ) lol thanks again for your kind words.

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
Thank you ,if he won't come down on price

Your right, I will not pay too much for the clock, I know we can't talk about price on the post but we should be able to kick around common sense price points. But I've worked behind the counter of my Norwegian Grandfather's clock shop in Minnesota From 10th grade - 12th grade so I know enough to get in trouble. ( Late 60s ) lol thanks again for your kind words.
I will not be buying that clock. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy Nolan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller