• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

American Lenderman Banjo Clock Movement

George Schuetz

NAWCC Member
Apr 28, 2016
Charlotte, NC area
Country
Region
I have a banjo clock that has a movement made by C. A. Lenderman. I’ve done some research on C. A. Lenderman. I found that Foster Campos used Lenderman movements in some of his reproduction clocks. I am interested in learning more about Charles Lenderman and his timepiece movements. I talked briefly with Mr. Lenderman in February 2017. I tried calling him last week without success. I’m trying to get answers to some quesions as follows:

1. When did he start making banjo movements?

2. Why did he start making banjo movements?

3. Did he ever install one of his movements in a Waltham case?

4. When did he make his last banjo movement?

5. Did he sell most of his banjo movements to Foster Campos?

6. Was there any variation in his banjo movements over the years?

If you happen to know the answer to any of these questions, I’d appreciate hearing from you. Thanks very much. Below are pictures of two Lenderman movements. The first 4 pictures are of the movement in my clock. The last picture is of a Lenderman movement that is in a Foster Campos Girandole clock.
P1000474.JPG P1000474a.jpg P1000475.JPG P1000480.JPG S2097 A.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
just did a quick google search: lenderman site:mb.nawcc.org

looks like he was in poor health in 2012.... but i only quickly scanned the google search results and didn't dive deeper.

Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member
Apr 26, 2005
Weare, NH
Country
Region
I have a banjo clock that has a movement made by C. A. Lenderman. I’ve done some research on C. A. Lenderman. I found that Foster Campos used Lenderman movements in some of his reproduction clocks. I am interested in learning more about Charles Lenderman and his timepiece movements. I talked briefly with Mr. Lenderman in February 2017. I tried calling him last week without success. I’m trying to get answers to some quesions as follows:

1. When did he start making banjo movements?

2. Why did he start making banjo movements?

3. Did he ever install one of his movements in a Waltham case?

4. When did he make his last banjo movement?

5. Did he sell most of his banjo movements to Foster Campos?

6. Was there any variation in his banjo movements over the years?

If you happen to know the answer to any of these questions, I’d appreciate hearing from you. Thanks very much. Below are pictures of two Lenderman movements. The first 4 pictures are of the movement in my clock. The last picture is of a Lenderman movement that is in a Foster Campos Girandole clock.
View attachment 595749 View attachment 595750 View attachment 595751 View attachment 595752 View attachment 595753
I have made many clocks using Lenderman Movements. I’ve made Banjo, Girandole, and believe it or not, two lighthouse clocks with his movements. For the Lighthouse clocks I contacted Charles Lenderman and had 3 of his Banjo movements specially made with the pendulum mounted on the back, and included a “passing bell strike”. He in fact featured two of my clocks on his website before he retired, the Lighthouse clock, and my “New Hampshire” Girandole clock. I am currently working on a Massachusetts Shelf Clock using one of his movements that I got off of EBay a number of years ago…. You have a question about a Lenderman movement in a Waltham case. It just so happens that I bought a Waltham banjo clock in 1997 with a Lenderman movement installed in the case. I bought it from my good friend who runs a clock shop in Northern NH. He bought the Waltham at a yard sale. Unfortunately, it had a battery / quartz movement and a cheap dial in it (blah ! ) so, he removed the junk movement and dial, then bought a Lenderman movement and installed it in the Waltham with a replacement Banjo dial from “Timesavers”. Not a perfect restoration, but not bad !! (I have since acquired a Waltham movement and restored it to 95% original condition). Charles and Jane were great folks to deal with ! He was a great clock maker ! I include some pics of my clocks that have his movements in them…

13A709BA-8D9B-4524-89AB-B1A1FE3A865A.jpeg 6BF9A845-221C-49AE-8953-419017C35B0C.jpeg

Reactions: TMcollector

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Mr. Lenderman died on May 1st 2021. You can read his obituary on The Lufkin Daily News website.

JTD

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Your best source of information about Lenderman is probably Robert "Bob" Hynes in Pembroke, MA. Bob worked with both Elmer Stennes and Foster Campos. Foster Campos died in 2007 and Bob has carried on clockmaking and case repair.

Andy Dervan

TMcollector

Oct 7, 2014
Country
Region
I have made many clocks using Lenderman Movements. I’ve made Banjo, Girandole, and believe it or not, two lighthouse clocks with his movements. For the Lighthouse clocks I contacted Charles Lenderman and had 3 of his Banjo movements specially made with the pendulum mounted on the back, and included a “passing bell strike”. He in fact featured two of my clocks on his website before he retired, the Lighthouse clock, and my “New Hampshire” Girandole clock. I am currently working on a Massachusetts Shelf Clock using one of his movements that I got off of EBay a number of years ago…. You have a question about a Lenderman movement in a Waltham case. It just so happens that I bought a Waltham banjo clock in 1997 with a Lenderman movement installed in the case. I bought it from my good friend who runs a clock shop in Northern NH. He bought the Waltham at a yard sale. Unfortunately, it had a battery / quartz movement and a cheap dial in it (blah ! ) so, he removed the junk movement and dial, then bought a Lenderman movement and installed it in the Waltham with a replacement Banjo dial from “Timesavers”. Not a perfect restoration, but not bad !! (I have since acquired a Waltham movement and restored it to 95% original condition). Charles and Jane were great folks to deal with ! He was a great clock maker ! I include some pics of my clocks that have his movements in them…

View attachment 661617 View attachment 661618
These are beautiful clocks. I'm curious, do you build clocks just for yourself or for sale?

Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member
Apr 26, 2005
Weare, NH
Country
Region
These are beautiful clocks. I'm curious, do you build clocks just for yourself or for sale?
Hello TMCollector,
Thank you for the compliments ! I have made 33 clocks over the past 18 years, mostly for myself, family, and good friends. I have made about 6 clocks for customers and have done numerous restorations… Most of the folks I have built clocks for have been referred to me by my good friend and clock shop owner in Northern NH. I really enjoy building clocks with the old Willard, Curtis, and Dunning designs as a basis, but with my own “take” on them. Here’s another NH ”Old Man of the Mountain” clock with dimensions acquired from a “large dial J.N. Dunning Regulator clock”… It has a fine movement that was salvaged from a Waltham banjo clock, and also includes custom sized Girandole style sidearms that I designed and ordered from E-Machineshop.com. They’re about 2/3rd the size of standard Girandole sidearms. I think they go fairly well with this design…

E0AD2164-3C98-4A26-8236-37966CD1AB1E.jpeg

Last edited:

TMcollector

Oct 7, 2014
Country
Region
Hello TMCollector,
Thank you for the compliments ! I have made 33 clocks over the past 18 years, mostly for myself, family, and good friends. I have made about 6 clocks for customers and have done numerous restorations… Most of the folks I have built clocks for have been referred to me by my good friend and clock shop owner in Northern NH. I really enjoy building clocks with the old Willard, Curtis, and Dunning designs as a basis, but with my own “take” on them. Here’s another NH ”Old Man of the Mountain” clock with dimensions acquired from a “large dial J.N. Dunning Regulator clock”… It has a fine movement that was salvaged from a Waltham banjo clock, and also includes custom sized Girandole style sidearms that I designed and ordered from E-Machineshop.com. They’re about 2/3rd the size of standard Girandole sidearms. I think they go fairly well with this design…

View attachment 666572
I love it. I can see the Dunning dimensions, and yet, it's its own unique clock. Very nice.

Reactions: Joe Hollen

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
Exquisite ! You are quite the craftsman.

May I ask, since there are fewer Lenderman movements available, who's movement would you recommend or use in your next clock ?

Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member
Apr 26, 2005
Weare, NH
Country
Region
Exquisite ! You are quite the craftsman.

May I ask, since there are fewer Lenderman movements available, who's movement would you recommend or use in your next clock ?
Without a doubt, a “Lindow movement” ! . Search for David Lindow via Google and you’ll find his website…

Reactions: ChimeTime

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
Just a passing note...
Interest in Mr Lenderman's movements is apparently still very strong. A used banjo clock movement with recoil escapement sold on Ebay for $450 on Nov 20, 2021.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WoodPress
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-