Left handed lathes, okay, but collets too?

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Years ago, I found certain (Geneva, by Lorch and Wolf Jahn) lathes were designed "lefty" e.g. with headstocks on the right with the flat of the bar and screws, thumblocks, etc. facing away from the operator. Cross slides were not interchangeable, etc. Whether this was for left handed people, or using a hand-crank wheel with the right hand (or both) has been discussed and it all makes sense.

Most German made collets I have seen (which is not as many as some of you have, but still a lot) reads names correctly with the trumpet flare facing to the right of the operator. But, the other day, I saw this. My first. The word Lorch (etc.) may have been stamped on the collet face, but there were no images showing that. Have folks seen this? Often? Is this the kind of thing that may have accompanied those elaborate "lefty" boxed sets?

Always curious! TIA.

LeftyLorchCollet.jpg

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
Never paid attention to this, but such collets were also used in the tailstock to the right ...

BTW, if you were to operate the lathe with the headstock to the right, as most German watchmakers seem to have done and many still do, you will definitely need the location pin in the spindle. Otherwise a chuck or collet may unscrew ...

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Never paid attention to this, but such collets were also used in the tailstock to the right ...

BTW, if you were to operate the lathe with the headstock to the right, as most German watchmakers seem to have done and many still do, you will definitely need the location pin in the spindle. Otherwise a chuck or collet may unscrew ...
OR! Or if you had a left hand threaded collet!

Seems like an awfully non-standard item though. And I imagine they would be very hard to find. Probably cheap though.

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
Don't know how much of the production of the German manufacturers went into export and these lathes were not only used by watchmekers per se, so I would imagine that the need for collets with a left-hand thread would be quite low. And technically speaking they are not so important with the pin in place.

I think left-handed threads on collets were used on some screw-machines for turrets etc., but I don't have any reference to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller