LEFT HAND TAPS AND DIES.

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
Where do I find a set?
Metric and imperial in the small sizes that are suitable to what we do.

I have a small Swiza alarm clock with a stripped out winding key.

Thank you.

M.

Dushan Grujich

Jun 20, 2003
Bondi
geocities.ws
Country
Region
Where do I find a set?
Metric and imperial in the small sizes that are suitable to what we do.

I have a small Swiza alarm clock with a stripped out winding key.

Thank you.

M.
G'Day!

It would be much, much cheaper to make exactly what You need, instead of finding and buying a set or two. Just for example, a new set 0.30 - 1.20 mm right hand goes for over a $1K, a left hand would go at least twice as much. So, make your pick.

Cheers, Dushan

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
Wow! Really, that much!?

So, if I only need one, where do I get it from?

Thank you

M.

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
I would still like to know who sells these things, no matter the cost.

Whether I choose to by a set or two, or make it myself or have it made, that is my pick.

Thank you.

M.

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
What sizes are you talking about, what precision and how many threads are you expecting to cut ? Left-hand taps are generally more expensive, but can be found on ebay at least for sizes above M1. Smaller ones are indeed likely to be rather expensive.

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
I would still like to know who sells these things, no matter the cost.

Whether I choose to by a set or two, or make it myself or have it made, that is my pick.

Thank you.

M.
Ok. One way I read (never tired) was to make a flat tap (tow parallel sides) and turn it in reverse. If I were desperate, I would take a rt. hand screw of the correct size, and grind it to produce a flat tap. Since you are using it in brass, hardening may not be needed.

In addition to eBay, you can also check with material houses like McCaws or Jules Borel to see if they can order you one. Might well be $75; but ...

Now, how are you going to increase the ID of the winding key so that you can tap the correct thread? Are you better off squaring the shaft and fitting the key that way? Have you looked for assortments of winding keys?

What is the OD of the threaded shaft? Someone here may have one.

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
I have not checked the size or pitch yet. I was looking for taps first.

Besides, I have other projects where I could use small left hand taps in another industry that I’m involved in.

The key is an extra long reach, one I haven’t found anywhere.
It’s already been worked on and massacred as it is. I was going to fabricate a new one. My only hurdle is the left hand thread.
I guess I could cut off an available key and add an extension.

Thank you for your suggestions.

M.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country

Besides, I have other projects where I could use small left hand taps in another industry that I’m involved in.

It’s already been worked on and massacred as it is. I was going to fabricate a new one. My only hurdle is the left hand thread.

M.
M.
Left Hand Taps and dies are readily available in singles from several sources, but you must first identify the size required.

A couple of examples are as follows

Taps Metric Left Hand - Minitaps

For sizes 1.7mm , 0-80 and up

High Speed Steel Metric Left Hand Taps

While unavailable micro taps are easily machined in either right or left, metric or inch, the key is to avoid carbon build up in very small threads during the hardening/tempering process that greatly decreases their efficiency. I can further discuss if need be.

Jerry Kieffer

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country

M.
Figuring out the dimensions is probably a good first step. If it’s an oddball thread you may have more trouble finding that than the trouble you’ll have finding left handed ones. If you don’t have single point threading capabilities you could probably ask someone to help you out, if you end up having to make it that is.

Regards
Karl

Dushan Grujich

Jun 20, 2003
Bondi
geocities.ws
Country
Region
G'Day!

One of the places one can find replacement for the damaged key would be Rudolf Flume materials house in Germany. Have you stated the Swiza model perhaps I could have given You Flume's part number from their catalogue.

Cheers, Dushan

Reactions: DeweyC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zmuzaffarov
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller