Least Favorable

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
What’s your least favorite (pit) part of clock collecting/repair? Curious to know some answers as there are usually no “everything good” about anything.

Last edited:

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Hearing rattling/rolling noises coming from a clock that just came from shipping, by far.

Reactions: T.Cu and Salsagev

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Ooh, very true. That’s not only a pit but it scares the crap out of me especially dealing with chime clocks (most likely means instruments have broken.)

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Receiving a clock for repair and finding a disaster of botched repairs, blobs of solder and broken or missing pieces! Then having to explain to the customer, the mess you have to clean up to be able to return a reliable clock and correct repairs performed!

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Receiving a clock for repair and finding a disaster of botched repairs, blobs of solder and broken or missing pieces! Then having to explain to the customer, the mess you have to clean up to be able to return a reliable clock and correct repairs performed!
I thought they were all like that.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
One of my least favorite parts of repair is having to set the beat of clock. Just hope you bend it the right amount.

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Funny story,
In a repair class one time. We got to the point where everyone (first time students) were setting up movements in their test stands. The look of sheer happiness on faces to see their movements run. One of the students, a friend on mine, was elated that his movement was running so well. He went to the kitchen to wash his hands and I took the opportunity to reach over and stop the movement. The look of disappointment on his face was so worth it when he saw that it has stopped. Priceless. Good laugh afterwards as well.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Funny story,
In a repair class one time. We got to the point where everyone (first time students) were setting up movements in their test stands. The look of sheer happiness on faces to see their movements run. One of the students, a friend on mine, was elated that his movement was running so well. He went to the kitchen to wash his hands and I took the opportunity to reach over and stop the movement. The look of disappointment on his face was so worth it when he saw that it has stopped. Priceless. Good laugh afterwards as well.
Oh how cruel!

Nice to see pranksters in a hobby like this!

TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2005
Santa Rosa Calif.
www.weserviceallclocks.com
Country
Region
What Jmeechie Said

Reactions: Jmeechie

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i'm split between:

- the excitement of opening the package containing the clock you've been waiting for, only to find irreparable damage due to lamebrain under-packing

- the horrible feeling when accidents happen... like the escape wheel you're buffing getting caught and ending up embedded in the sheetrock wall like a shuriken, or snapping off a pivot, or (having no prior clue) pushing sideways on aa balance wheel and breaking the staph.

Reactions: Salsagev

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Taking a movement that has been running for a week or two and putting it in the case, after 4 days or so it stopes, flick the pendulum and off it goes, stop it and wind/pull weights and start again. This time it stops after 5 days, nothing for it but to take it out and check over everything. Next put it the test stand waiting for it to stop again and it does not. Next put it in the case and it stops after 5 days. It does not happen often however I have a few like that, drives me nuts. We all get there in the end, however it is sometimes a long road.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Tossing out an un-repairable cheap quartz 400 day clock months after the owner died, only to learn that the family wants it back. :oops:

Reactions: Salsagev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevemn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-