• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

lathe

Fenner

Sep 25, 2012
Barnoldswick.Lancs
Country
Region
I have purchased a lathe complete with collets and wanting to get hold of a small drill or 3 jaw chuck that fits to hold bigger diameters, although I have used numerous lathes in engineering the watch lathe is new to me and when I searched for these items I found various sizes mostly 6 or 8mm dia thread. My lathe does not have a manufacturer's name and my collets are 5mm thread and up to press have not came up with anything of that calibre. Are these thing out there or are they not.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Fenner,

The diameter of collets is measured across the parallel portion just behind the cone, not the threaded part, (effectively the ID of the throat). This site will give you more information on dimensions of collets from various manufacturers. A thread diameter of 5mm sounds closest to a 6mm lathe of some sort, but careful measurement and reference to the charts in the above link should clarify what you have.

Regards,

Graham

Max Phillips

Sep 12, 2011
Barrington, NH
joyofprecision.tumblr.com
Country
Region
You see 3 and 4 jaw chucks occasionally for the 6mm machines, one sold on e-bay at the end of December, for about 140 Australian dollars. There are a number of tiny 3 and 4 jaw chucks available (both new and used) with threaded backs, if you have the facility to make your own collet shank arbor to fit them then that would be an easier and possibly less expensive option (that's what I did for my 8mm lathe). There's more potential for inaccuracy that way, but if you're careful it shouldn't be any more than most people would consider acceptable for a self centering chuck. If you don't have access to a larger lathe, and especially if you have a compound slide rest for the 6mm machine, you could use your 6mm lathe to turn the arbor shank between centers and then use threading dies for the threads on either end. If you get lucky you may even come across an already-made threaded arbor with 6mm collet shank that also fits one of the readily available threaded-back chucks.

-Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irishbogs
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-