Latest purchase

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Although I normally only collect torsion clocks I have been after a Skeleton clock for a few years and I found one recently although it had lost or broken it’s glass dome, well I have found an original Victorian dome and oak base , so I have a nice project to service it and replace because someone has used a sink plug chain on it.
Dell
762D621C-FA25-4237-B212-DFB9F49691C5.jpeg A3ED84D0-42F7-4C28-B144-F08068A34B01.jpeg

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Will it fit on the oval base? Love that chain. Unique!!!
Yes it will fit base , as for the chain it looks like sink plug hole chain not convinced it’s original.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

I don’t want to spoil things, but the clock appears to be a rather convincing reproduction of the Victorian original from around 1840. The first tell-tale sign is the patina, which is rather too fresh and indicates that the clock has been deliberately aged, matching the key which is a modern key and not a replacement. Furthermore, the way the cartouches are mounted isn’t right for a period clock, and were it period you would expect to see the trefoil hands pierced and not just shaped. The fact that the clock is modern may account for the peculiar chain. Hope this isn’t too disappointing - such reproductions are nonetheless good quality and should work reliably.

Regards.

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Hi,

I don’t want to spoil things, but the clock appears to be a rather convincing reproduction of the Victorian original from around 1840. The first tell-tale sign is the patina, which is rather too fresh and indicates that the clock has been deliberately aged, matching the key which is a modern key and not a replacement. Furthermore, the way the cartouches are mounted isn’t right for a period clock, and were it period you would expect to see the trefoil hands pierced and not just shaped. The fact that the clock is modern may account for the peculiar chain. Hope this isn’t too disappointing - such reproductions are nonetheless good quality and should work reliably.

Regards.
I purchased it on the assumption that it was a modern copy but I am not convinced it is because I have seen a modern copy and quite a few things are different, scrolling on bottom of plate on copy I have seen the scrolling end went all way round but my one is cut out , it has blued screws and the copy didn’t, the escape wheel is cut out nicely the copy wasn’t the click for the barrel is totally different and my one has a cover , the striker arm is very nicely made and shaped the copy wasn’t, as for the chain it’s possible that someone just used the chain because they didn’t want to spend money getting the proper chain, and quite a few other things, but that’s not to say it’s not a copy but I am fairly sure it’s not a Chinese copy , none the more for that it will be very pleasing to me when it’s done.
Dell

Reactions: Vernon

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
I am certainly not an expert on these types of clocks, but to me it also looks unlikely to be Victorian - the lack or any wear on the cartouches used for the numerals (and the use of enamel cartouches on a fusee clock) along with the points above doesn't make me think it has been around for 100 years or more. The other thing is the cover on the end of the fusee to stop people winding the wrong square - I am not sure if these were commonly used on original clocks. Skeleton clock kits were available for hobbyists years back, and this may be one of those?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phred01
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner