Latest Challenge

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by wow, Sep 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i acquired a Sherline lathe and Mill recently and am trying to learn how to use them for special work. I’m sure this is just run-of-the-mill work for most of you, but not for me. This is a Hawina movement from a nice old German grandfather. It needed several bushings, but most of all, the gathering pallet was cracked and someone had tried to fix it with epoxy. When the set screw was tightened, it would open the crack and slip on the arbor. I had a large nail in my shop which had a head about 1/2 inch in diameter so I cut it and mounted in in the lathe. Here’s what I made from it. Took a little time but works great.
    The first photo is the one I made on the movement. The last two photos are the old broken one. How can I improve my work? I am learning, so please offer constructive criticism. Thanks.
    Will

04126369-E269-4A00-9406-093CAF5DBA82.jpeg 3A0E0B87-F9FC-4420-838A-98025EDCB884.jpeg E06E561F-78D8-42B1-BC11-D450BB6EA601.jpeg 476AAFDF-FE25-40C2-9E35-86B791A56AB0.jpeg 4094F5EC-2DD7-4E89-959F-9059C9F3B25E.jpeg

Bruce Alexander likes this.
  2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks good to me!

Uhralt

3. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks. One problem I had was drilling the hole for the arbor. My headstock and tailstock are not aligned properly and I can’t figure out how to get them aligned. I read the Sherline pages on it, but still having trouble. I used a pin vice instead of the tailstock and got it. I would rather use the tailstock though. Any secrets to alignment I may be missing?[/QUOTE]

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm new to machining too so I can't offer anything in way of constructive criticism.
    Looks very good to me. :thumb:
    I suppose with the right tools and correct speeds you might be able to get a smoother finish.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    [/QUOTE]
    Did you try loosening the screw that holds the headstock and tap the headstock it lightly to move it in the correct position? For an application like this, alignment should be good enough. For precision drilling, like for repivoting small pivots, I use the adjustable collet holder for the tailstock that Sherline sells. It allows very small adjustments.

Uhralt

6. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you try loosening the screw that holds the headstock and tap the headstock it lightly to move it in the correct position? For an application like this, alignment should be good enough. For precision drilling, like for repivoting small pivots, I use the adjustable collet holder for the tailstock that Sherline sells. It allows very small adjustments.

Uhralt[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps it is the headstock rather than the tailstock. They align up and down but off a couple of mm. side to side. I read about that collet holder. Maybe I better order one.
    Thanks!

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would consider this an extreme misalignment. If it can't be cured by tapping, I would return the lathe to Sherline for an exchange.

Uhralt

8. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Bruce Alexander, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Will,

I just want to make clear that I think you did a very good job reproducing a demanding part here. Given an inordinate amount of time, I probably could produce something similar...perhaps after several attempts. You asked for "constructive criticism". I've seen machining videos which discuss speed with certain metals and tools which produce a smooth surface. There are so many variables that it probably takes a very long time to master machining operations at that level. So once again, nice job. :thumb:

I do agree with Uhrait, if your centers are that far off it sounds like you should maybe contact Sherline.

Uhrait,
    Could you please expand a little on this accessory?

Thanks,

Bruce

Edit: I was thinking of the "Clickspring" YouTube Videos.

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use the "Adjustable custom tool holder" together with the "ww collet adapter". They allow to align the tailstock to a very small tolerance and to use a collet to hold the drill.

https://www.sherline.com/product/1203-adjustable-tailstock-custom-tool-holder/
    WW Collet Tailstock Adapters – Sherline Products

Uhralt

10. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  11. Old Rivers

Old Rivers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    [/QUOTE]

You might consider the adjustable tailstock chuck adapter:

https://www.sherline.com/product/12021204-adjustable-tailstock-chuck-holders/

I recently acquired one of these with the 0MT - 0JT ends with the small Jacobs chuck included. After aligning using sharp points, one held in the Jacobs chuck and another held in a headstock mounted collet, I was very pleased with the results.

Bill

12. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you gentlemen. Bruce, I, too, wished I would have smoothed it a little better. Now that it’s made and working, I’m afraid to do anything else with it. You know..(don’t fix it if it ain’t broke). Uhralt, I took your advise and tapped the headstock, I cleaned everything, and I mounted a wheel in the three-jawed chuck. I checked it with a dial indicator, and it is right on center. Gonna play around with drilling some broken arbors using the tailstock to hold the drill bit. Sure is better than my old Unimat SL.

E0B09C15-978C-49CA-AE61-43FF12B9BB89.jpeg

13. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad I could help! I see that your lathe is not new, so returning for an exchange is not an option. Let us know how center drilling with the tailstock works for you now. For very fine work I still recommend one of the adjustable tool holders for the tailstock.

Uhralt

14. Tom Kloss

Tom Kloss Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Male
    Retired from one job, started another.
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi
    A little cutting oil while turning might help improve the finish. But if it works that's great. You can't argue with success.

Tom Kloss

15. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Will

Sherline Lathes before the DC motor have several issues and would suggest the DC version for daily work if you purchased used.

(1) If you do not have one , I would suggest Sherlines Assembly Guide for adjustments and common procedures. Read it from cover to cover.

(2) Purchase quality tooling set with the cutting tip centered on the spindle center of rotation. Personally, I avoid anything made in China and India.

(3) Only attempt to machine metal designed to be machined purchased from a reputable metal supplier after consultation.
    Metal such as nails or from metal displays in discount stores is generally cold rolled, inexpensive with slag in it from the factory. Cheap tools will not cut it and it will damage quality tools. I would suggest that you practice on 12L14 steel and then you can move on to harder steels.

(4) Always use cutting fluid when machining metal.

Once these Items are mastered, others can be added.

Jerry Kieffer

16. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, Jerry. Great info! Can you recommend suppliers that sell graded steel such as 12L14 and other quality metals? I do not know of any local suppliers of such metal.

17. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Will
    I suspect that you have metal suppliers in your area if you check the yellow pages.

However, online options include " Online Metals" and " Speedy Metal" as examples along with many others if you again google Metal Suppliers.
    Once you become familiar with metals, Flea markets, car shows, Gas and steam shows and E-Bay are other great options.

Jerry Kieffer

18. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Jerry