Late 19th Century German? Mantel Clock Unmarked need Info

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by captainclock, Feb 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. captainclock

captainclock Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Hello everyone, I just recently acquired and repaired a what I believe is a late 19th century or possibly very early 20th century German mantel clock that is unmarked that was apparently meant for export to the US Market as the only marking on the dial is a marking that says "Foreign" on the bottom of the clock dial in small print, otherwise the dial is unmarked and the movement is unmarked (no makers marks on it anywhere) but the style of the clock, the movement and the fact that it uses the No. 8 style winding key that is standard on all German clocks, makes me think its a German clock from the late 19th or very early 20th century.

I bought the clock at a local antique mall for $20 in as is condition, (it had no key and the tag said it needed some work) which it turned out that the clock just needed to be wound and that the downrod for the pendulum bob was bent out of whack because the person who was selling it made the mistake of leaving the pendulum bob inside the clock when they transported it from where they bought it to the antique mall, which bent the pendulum's downrod (which leaving the pendulum bob attached to a mantel clock during transport is a big nono in the clock world because of that very reason) but I was able to get the clock going and the clock is keeping great time.

I was wondering if anyone here would have some information on this clock as to who may have made it or when exactly the clock may have been made.

Thanks,

Levi

P. S. about 4 years ago I visited the clock museum out in Pennsylvania (can't remember the name of the town it was in now) and I had a great time there.
    Unknown German Mantle Clock.jpg Unknown German Mantle Clock Inside View.jpg

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Levi,

Welcome to the board.

Your clock was made after 1925 and was made for export to the U.K. (not the U.S.).

Effective in 1926, the U.K. required that clocks imported into the U.K. have the term "Foreign" inscribed on them. The U.S. required country of origin to be imprinted on the movement, effective in 1891, and on the dial effective in 1909.

We have contributors who can identify unmarked German clocks and they should be along after they check their databases.

Regards.

3. captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
    OK so the clock was from Britain originally, interesting.
    So I wonder how a clock from Britain wound up in America?
    Anyways thanks for the information and I'm looking forward to hearing what the experts have to say, about this clock as it would be interesting to know a little bit about this clock.

Edit: Just realized I made a clock pun, see if you can spot it.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    No it wasn't, it was made for the British market, as new2clocks said. Your clock is almost certainly German. I don't see anything unusual about a clock from another country winding up in USA - thousands did, either because they were exported there or somebody brought it with them.

Someone will likely belong shortly to identify your movement.

JTD

PS Yes,I saw your clock pun.

5. Emil66

Emil66 Registered User

Jun 4, 2017
    Male
    Spokane, WA
    Country Flag:
    Wound up - pretty clever.

6. captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
    That's what I meant by what I said, it was originally from great britain as in it was originally sold in great britian but then someone brought it over here at a later time, sorry I wasn't very clear about that, I was kind of in a hurry when I typed that.

7. captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks, I'm actually very good at coming up with puns, even if its unintentional.

8. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 claussclocks, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Maybe it just sprung over. :rolleyes:

As to how it got here. I bought 30 similar type clocks from an antique importer who goes to England and Europe and buys entire houses of furniture and the like to bring here for resale in the antique market. These little clocks are considered clutter that came with the good stuff and usually can be bought pretty cheaply in lots.

As to who made it. I am just finishing this one up tonight for a clock that was made for the German market and as you can see it is the same movement

It is a Junghans, B20 which means it was probably made in the second half of the year 1920. Although unmarked yours is the same movement made sometime in that general time period.

DPC

Junghans B20.jpg

9. captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
    OK, thanks. I'll look up Junghans and see if I can find anything like mine, and see if I can find what model this clock was.