Late 1800s Ansonia Steeple Clock issues

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Hello everyone, yesterday I had acquired what I thought was a complete but non-working Ansonia Steeple clock from the late 19th century that the case was in very good shape yet, but when I got it home and went to wind it up, the mainspring for the strike portion of the movement broke, (the time mainspring was fine) and so I took the dial off and looked and saw that the movement wasn't the original movement, instead of having an Ansonia movement in it it had an Ingraham movement in it from around 1918, and the dial isn't original either from what I saw of other clocks like mine, other than that the clock is all original.

I got the clock from a booth at a local antique mall that had 3 clocks for sale for $49+ 20% off so only $40 after tax, and there were 2 ansonia clocks and an ingraham clock, and I have a feeling that what happened was that someone put the wrong movement into the wrong case (they put the ingraham clock's movement into the Ansonia clock and the Ansonia movement into the Ingraham clock).

My Question is, how would I go about figuring out if that's the case? The other two clocks are still at the antique mall yet but I'm planning on getting them when I get paid this friday, if they are still there. I would like to figure out which clock has the movement that came out of my clock originally in it without having to take it apart, because I don't think they would let me take it apart.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Levi

Last edited:

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
You may or may not find your original movement in one of the other clocks. Hard to tell who did what and when. If you are lucky maybe you will find the the swap, otherwise you have 3 potentially nice clocks if you can find a correct movement for each. Let us see some pictures please.

RC

Reactions: bikerclockguy

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Also, for what it’s worth, Ansonia used the same basic movements(either recoil or open escapemen)in all of their time and strike clocks for about a 30-year run, with only slight differences between them(pendulum length is the main one that comes to mind, end even in that case, most of their pendulums have an adjustable length). If none of the other clocks has the missing movement, you can probably pick up a “builder” on eBay for $20-50.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It's one of those "buyer beware" things. I doubt very much that the dealer did any more than buy the clocks and sell them for a small profit. But as stated, you should be able to find a proper movement. The movement is probably worth the price of the clock, so no major issues.

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
OK, thanks for the info, I'll definitely be going back on friday because I'll be getting paid then and I'll be buying the rest of them if they're still there.
And sorry I did have some pictures posted but apparently they didn''t show up.

We'll try again.

Ansonia Steeple Clock Front View.jpg Ansonia Steeple Clock Inside View.jpg

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Nice clock! I’d say that one is definitely worth the trouble to find and build/install the correct movement. It’s rare to find one in that condition with the glass painting and label in such good condition.

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Nice clock! I’d say that one is definitely worth the trouble to find and build/install the correct movement. It’s rare to find one in that condition with the glass painting and label in such good condition.
Thanks! I went back to the antique mall and picked up the clock that I thought might of had the movement in it and it turns out it was just a gutted Ingraham clock that originally had a movement with an alarm in it that they stuck a modern reproduction brass movement in from India. The third clock there that I thought was another ansonia was actually a New Haven Clock that looks to be all original including the dial. I will go pick that up on friday or saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre