Last year(s) of the American Pocket Watch production-a timeline?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Whereisitat, Mar 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Whereisitat

Whereisitat Registered User

Mar 14, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Those must have been very dark days for an industry that employed so many Americans. My Dad bought a Accutron back then & it was all she wrote for the mechanicals for him.

I'm a total nube here as my posts would suggest so I don't know the stories around those days I'm just guessing they were brutal.

But I was curious as to what the final production year was for true American built / manufactured pocket watches. Not the subsidiary 25 jewels etc... Thanks!

2. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hamilton made the last 992B RR watch in 1968-69. Waltham went out of business in 1957 and were selling Vanguard 1623 RR watches into at least the mid-1950s. Elgin made the last B.W. Raymonds in the mid-1950s.

3. Accutronica

Accutronica Registered User

Nov 21, 2016
    disabled
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think mechanical watches will ever go away, especially automatics. I'll admit that I'm more intrigued with the Accutron and will probably be more focused on them, but it's nice having watches that only need some TLC and a wind every day - no worries about needing a battery at the most inopportune time.

Robert

4. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2001
    had the 'last notice' for 992b, but can't find it.

but.......... still being shipped late 1971. watch never sold, still in family of jewelry store owner, store now closed.
    a 4c prefix in a model 15 case.

Attached Files:

5. rolandantrobus

rolandantrobus Registered User

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I can mention it now that its finished but there was a Vanguard on ebay last night from the very last run of Walthams. I think it went quite cheap too but it was in poor condition with a broken regulator. Did anyone else see it?