Large tempus fugit grandfather clock worth?

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
sorry to inform you: not much. this is a generic 1970s or 80s inexpensive clock... and there's just no market for them.

the clocks made during that period had movements with a built-in shelf life of maybe 25-30 years... neither movements nor cases are anything to write home about, and craigslists everywhere are littered with similar clocks that don't sell.

collectors are looking for 1920s and earlier... and are already trying to balance purchasing another clock and figuring out where they might put it. yours is just not compelling to us clock junkies.

if it runs, you could gift it to someone. if you got really lucky, you might get $100 for it. i'm not even sure salvation army takes these any more.

just my opinion, but it is reasonably informed....

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
just a followup on that last comment.... the newer/cheaper clocks all put that round badge above the dial that says 'tempus fugit' (time flies)... there were some old (pre-1900) that occasionally had that on the dial, but not very often.

sorry to dash your hopes of retirement. :)

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Quiksilv3r If you are looking to buy, this might not be a good purchase. As has been said above the movements in these don't last. Counterintuitively, the movements in older clocks were in fact made to last, so buying older ones can be a more rewarding experience. If you are interested to buy, let us know what interests you and we can try to point you in a different direction.

The Treasured Clock

NAWCC Member
Jan 14, 2008
Lebanon, Ohio
Country
Region
I might agree with Bruce, some of us have more educated and discriminating tastes with clocks. Tempus Fugit is a Latin phrase meaning time flies, it has nothing to do with any one maker.
Jonathan Lee Jones

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If it runs, it might go for $350. If not, I'd offer $125.

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
just a followup on that last comment.... the newer/cheaper clocks all put that round badge above the dial that says 'tempus fugit' (time flies)... there were some old (pre-1900) that occasionally had that on the dial, but not very often.

sorry to dash your hopes of retirement. :)
Becker and Mauthe hall clocks of the 1920s had Tempus Fugit on the upper dials.

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum! I talked with many old time clocksmiths. They always told me, "No matter how much you like or dislike a customer's choice of clocks, keep your mouth shut. It may mean quite a lot to them" After all, I always thought, gee they made these for someone or some market. There are lots of them too.

Keeping this in mind, if you like this clock, if it is your first run at old clock, go for it. Fix it, use it enjoy it, and then get another. Since the value is not real great, you can't do a lot of harm to it. Make you mind up. Post some photos of the back of the movement. This will help identify it.

As a side note, I got a call to fix a wall clock for a customer. When I arrived, I saw the most unattractive clock imaginable. The man told me it meant a lot, and wanted it fixed no matter what. When I got back to the shop, I opened it and my eyes beheld the most beautiful Ansonia movement. I fixed his clock, and he is once again very happy. Somewhere along the line a marriage of misfit clocks took place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
libelul
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller