Large Hartford Pocket Watch with Railroad Design Case

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by judyandrichie, Apr 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. judyandrichie

judyandrichie Registered User

Sep 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I have this large Hartford pocket watch with a railroad design case. I saw some threads about Swiss fakes, but was wondering if anyone could tell me more about this watch.

Thanks.

2. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Larege Hartford Pocket Watch with Railroad Design Case

The cowcatcher and bell on the front of the locomotive make it look American
    Is the Hartford in Conneticut?
    There are two towns in the UK with the name
    Hertford in Hertfordshire and Hartford in Cheshie

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Larege Hartford Pocket Watch with Railroad Design Case

It is fairly typical of the watches called Swiss Fakes. This one is a bit better than many. The Marvin Watch Co. made similar watches in its early days but I have no idea who made this one and it is unlikely to be determinable.

4. judyandrichie

judyandrichie Registered User

Sep 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    #4 judyandrichie, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
    Were they called "Swiss Fake" because they were made in Switzerland, or were they made in the US?

5. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Because they were made in Switzerland and because they were deliberately designed to look like American watches, and therefore to deceive buyers into thinking that they were buying an American watch.

In some cases that deception was compounded (as in your watch) by giving the watch a "maker's name" that sounded like an American maker.