• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Large Electric School Clock - Project ID Help

scootermcrad

NAWCC Member
Mar 1, 2016
North Carolina
cabarrustimesavers.blogspot.com
Country
Region
Hey everyone,

Well, I find myself involved with another clock in our community. This time something a little different. An early electric clock that sounds to be original to the 1947 built Elementary School, or as far as the community recalls, it is original. It has sat idle for at least 30 years due to the actual electric movement being cut off of the wall when an interior renovation to the building occurred. The Principal and community is standing by this project and I'm helping with the logistics of getting it restored and put back up.

Overall the clock is a simple installation. Just missing a few numerals and it will obviously need a new movement. When looking over all the cast aluminum hands and cast components I can't find any markings anywhere. Does anyone recognize the parts as a particular maker? I expected to at least see some embossing of sorts, maybe a stamped number, but nothing.

Thanks for any help or input!

Scott
pBeu8WHc2Qdt_x-TEePtnBa7cyb23rgSJjbn3KRwFpaT6PtNaRhuz8_yFGv-lW4t4PYQSkECg2rSniresN0=w694-h924-no.jpg

R85-63_NolL0MOSq-_7QwvJkWv5tSA2xOnxYk7zVyKl6gEaFLSOKqG8UZ1S2CMHde12qmBEfo3ip6E6_dnt=w694-h924-no.jpg

lAkply5EElkvQ9_XElbbpPkV0MMsdiPHj8zfjA7MdF60xhhvuJ6TXzusWNJ90TVWTxLjL9AT6bht0uTrn1G=w694-h924-no.jpg

JLGFdwrrV46K-7CDTv3jFJlTeFFrmGdMD-kaV0-lC8WI13MTHea2ubUDdEqGuVtAQ96hk7ZOESGdjX1yhyW=w694-h924-no.jpg

4FTL6ObNbJeSa4FeYpxSBh2DVbOjQKiKfyFB_p4FnZxxWZ-KmPFu2vBkbqcfzjn1iFn02n3Ooow_NtPL4yB=w694-h924-no.jpg

Xp74XtAGieYUmzrvUVIFCRwMNv4OHpgRwU5fdnbqZQ38ehZr5Jhk9fnjwA_lMMtVtbPuG0tLDDwU1zH9G9o=w694-h924-no.jpg

DI_VblQy873SvWyTDa5uc-bTjX1Dm2J4nzw1uTZWbJkve1swJg1LFiGOVkRDEqD0meJrXrK4Mf6kqaok6_W=w694-h924-no.jpg

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
The best folks to talk to would be Electric TIme Co. in Mass. They seem to be about the only ones to supply electric clocks of this size....

scootermcrad

NAWCC Member
Mar 1, 2016
North Carolina
Country
Region
The best folks to talk to would be Electric TIme Co. in Mass. They seem to be about the only ones to supply electric clocks of this size....
Yep! They're on my list and they will probably be the ones the movement will be purchased from.

Maybe @ElectricTime will chime in...

gvasale

NAWCC Member
Mar 30, 2005
webster, Ma
Country
Region
See if you can chase down what was known as Empire Clock Co. They had electric movements for this size work.

fdew

Jul 12, 2007
Do you know if the school has or had a IBM or Simplex clock system for the classroom clocks? If so, it is very likely that clock was part of the system. They were included in a lot of schools to dress up the building and to lock up the bidding process. Not many master clock systems had a large clock movement. The movement was a AC motor that ran a gear train that advanced the clock one minute in about 10 sec. There was one shaft in the train that turned one revolution each minute of hand travel. that shaft had a cam on it and contacts that would open to release the relay that was energized by the master clock minute impulse. If you think it had this movement you may want to ask about them on the Electric clock part of this forum.

scootermcrad

NAWCC Member
Mar 1, 2016
North Carolina
Country
Region
Do you know if the school has or had a IBM or Simplex clock system for the classroom clocks? If so, it is very likely that clock was part of the system. They were included in a lot of schools to dress up the building and to lock up the bidding process. Not many master clock systems had a large clock movement. The movement was a AC motor that ran a gear train that advanced the clock one minute in about 10 sec. There was one shaft in the train that turned one revolution each minute of hand travel. that shaft had a cam on it and contacts that would open to release the relay that was energized by the master clock minute impulse. If you think it had this movement you may want to ask about them on the Electric clock part of this forum.
Thank you, sir! I appreciate the info. I didn't even think to ask, actually. The principal is fairly new to the school and new very little about the history of the school building or the clock, other than it wasn't working. That is a GREAT question! I will look into it!

ElectricTime

NAWCC Business
Sep 28, 2002
Electric Time Company can certainly help you with this. We would need just the approximate diameter of the clock - we can also make replacement numerals for this.

We would supply a new clock movement, hand hubs and control system. Our equipment is made at our factory located here in Medfield, MA.

Please contact me directly at tde@electrictime.com

BTW - nice cast hands.

Hey everyone,

Well, I find myself involved with another clock in our community. This time something a little different. An early electric clock that sounds to be original to the 1947 built Elementary School, or as far as the community recalls, it is original. It has sat idle for at least 30 years due to the actual electric movement being cut off of the wall when an interior renovation to the building occurred. The Principal and community is standing by this project and I'm helping with the logistics of getting it restored and put back up.

Overall the clock is a simple installation. Just missing a few numerals and it will obviously need a new movement. When looking over all the cast aluminum hands and cast components I can't find any markings anywhere. Does anyone recognize the parts as a particular maker? I expected to at least see some embossing of sorts, maybe a stamped number, but nothing.

Thanks for any help or input!

Scott
View attachment 483795

View attachment 483796

View attachment 483797

View attachment 483798

View attachment 483799

View attachment 483800

View attachment 483801

scootermcrad

NAWCC Member
Mar 1, 2016
North Carolina
Country
Region
Electric Time Company can certainly help you with this. We would need just the approximate diameter of the clock - we can also make replacement numerals for this.

We would supply a new clock movement, hand hubs and control system. Our equipment is made at our factory located here in Medfield, MA.

Please contact me directly at tde@electrictime.com

BTW - nice cast hands.
You got it!
Thanks!
Scott

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michael.winstock@btintern
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.