• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Lantern Pin Cutter and Staking Tool

ticktock

Aug 24, 2004
Country
Never used one. Looking to buy but before I do who has a good product, functionality and how much can I expect to pay?

ticktock

Aug 24, 2004
Country
Never used one. Looking to buy but before I do who has a good product, functionality and how much can I expect to pay?

Robert M.

Nov 20, 2004
T.T.,before you invest $280.00 (Merritts Catalogue) why don't you try this.Go to a plumbing supply house or even Home Depot or Lowes and get yourself a clamping device used to grip the tubing when you flare copper tubing.The type that the plumbers use,I'm sure you've seen them.There is usually a half dozen or more cylindrical holes within it and believe me it works quite well for gripping the common size Lantern Pinions and it doesn't cost $280.00,maybe $15.00 for a good one.I've been using one for the past few years and it seems to work fine for me.At least try it before you invest that kind of serious money in a staking tool.As far as cutting piano wire or pinion wire I use my good ole Dremel.I put a thin cutting blade in it,,mark my lengths on a pc. of wood,and cut about 95% through it and just snap it off the base pc.One thing I've found is that if you cut completely through the wire with your Dremel the small pc. will zing away occassionally thats why I leave a little sliver attached to the base pc..
I hope this was of some help to you.Best of luck in your clock work.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton