Lange Cal 48

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by DeweyC, Oct 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Does anyone know the overall height of a Lange Cal 48 balance staff? Both pivots are gone and I can guess, but.....

Thanks!

2. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David, not my thing, but I do have a couple of books about the Lange firm. One I have deals with the mechanics, but only mentions calibres once. This for calibres of 73 & 61 early chronometers, all other watches are described by their serial numbers. The book I bought at the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum Glassütte, "Der Beginn Einer Tradition" or "The Beginning of a Tradition" the book is in German and English by Herbert Dittrich. I think you would understand the book better than me, and it just might help.

Allan.

c-17.JPG

3. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Thank Allan. But what I am looking for is the overall height of the balance staff so I can make a new one. I can get all the other measurements off the old staff.

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dewey,

Can't you measure across the two hole jewels without the endstones in place?

Regards,

Graham

eri231 likes this.