Lancelot a Paris

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by CZHACK, Dec 14, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would appreciate any information on this maker (in particular a lookup in Tardys "Dictionnaire des Horlogers Francais"). Thanks. Mike

2. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    .......or even confirmation Lancelot (or F. Lancelot) is not listed in Tardys would help. Thanks again. Mike

3. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    CZHACK, I was in the NAWCC library yesterday and remembered your request for info on Lancelot a Paris. I found Dictionnaire Des Horologers Francais and there is a mention of him. The exact entry is "LANCELOT Francois. Paris. Ch. d'o.1684.".

Hope that's what you need.

Ron

4. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ron,

Many thanks! Any idea what "Ch. d'o." means? I have numerous French pocket watches and clocks and am considering locating/purchasing Dictionnaires. Any comments on Dictionnaires as a reference?

Thanks again and happy holidays.

Mike

5. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike, In regard to Dictionnaire all I can say is most references listed are short one-liners similar to the one I quoted for you. As for as Ch. d'o, your guess is as good as mine, but I'll suggest that Ch. might have some reference to a district of Paris or perhaps to Switzerland. It's been at least 50 years since I had French in high school.

6. jakraka

jakraka Registered User

Jul 10, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "Ch. d'o." means chef d'oeuvre which itself means masterpiece I believe.

Happy holiday!

Jan

7. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jan,

Many thanks. Happy holidays!

Mike

8. Per G

Per G Registered User

Jan 9, 2007
    AFAIK, an apprentice wanting to become a master craftsman had to submit a masterpiece for examination by his guild. If his work was approved, he could set up his own workshop.
    Ch. d'o.1684 would be the year when Mr. Lancelot graduated as a master watchmaker.

Happy holidays all,
    Per

9. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Per,

Thanks for the response and interesting information. Happy holidays!

Does anyone know average ages of makers thru each stage (apprentice, master etc) in the late 1600s?

Mike

10. Per G

Per G Registered User

Jan 9, 2007
    Hi Mike,

Apprentices were contracted to the master for, I think, around seven years starting the apprenticeship at around 13-14 years of age.
    On completing the contract, they were expected to spend some years as journeymen moving from town to town to gain experience by working in different workshops along the way.
    Most never got so far as master craftsmen because beside having the masterpiece approved by the guild, a good sum of money was needed to set up a workshop.
    Looking at medieval records, a common thing was for a master craftsman's widow to remarry a journeyman or a young master that could continue to run the old workshop.

Per

11. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Per,

Thanks for the informative message. I recently acquired a circa 1690 one-handed oignon watch by this maker and the information from you/others has been a help.

Mike